CURIOUS: What makes one sub louder than another?

I'm still not really getting it I guess.
50hz any sub will move in and out 50 times a second. I don't see how the power of the motor or anything thing like that comes into play. MTs can play at 50hz and so can Xplods. So if both subs are playing at 50hz, both subs are making the same movements if we pretend they have the exact same excursion. I don't get how the MT would displace more air.

Im confused.
Along with what loyd said:

Think of it this way, if the Xplod can displace the same air (linear or non linear) as the MT in the same enclosure the same number of times per second in the same vehicle they will be exactly as loud speaking hypothetically.

The difference? The Xplod will be hard pressed to move an inch before it burns itself for a three second burp.

On the other hand, the MT will move 2 1/2"s (whether or not the displacement is linear doesn’t really matter) when you give it many many times the power and handle it for longer (length doesn’t matter, but just saying it can handle a lot more power a lot longer).

The Xplod may be louder on a 500w amp for SPL but MT will kick its ass if it is fed well. Watt for Watt loudness means very little unless you are working with limited power.

I think there's something deeply fundamentally missing from the conversation. It is this:

You are comparing 1 sub in "some" box to another sub in "another" box. The common denominator is box. The box effects the SPL and frequency response shape.

An extreme example here. Xplod in a fart box vs. MT in a small sealed box, which will be louder? My money is on the Xplod.

To accurately compare only 1 variable...i.e. the single hz SPL potential of each sub would require you to mount each sub in its optimal box for such a frequency test. i.e. the Xplod in its 50hz optimal enclosure vs. MT in its optimal enclosure.

You would then feed each sub the same number of watts in increments...

In the beginning the more efficient sub would be the winner. For example Xplod may be more efficient between 1 to 100 watts.

In the END the sub that handles more power would probably be the winner. i.e. MT can get louder as its design doesn't run into power compression at more input power....

Does this answer your question?

Bigger Subs = Louder //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

actually i'll stick by Efficiency, cause thats the answer to everything when it comes down to it

there's still one commonly over looked law of physics that hasn't been brought up yet.

and i'm not referring to different install, box, or power. it has to do with a capability of the sub.

the efficiency spec isn't.. but working efficiency is //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Loyd L.

the efficiency spec isn't.. but working efficiency is //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Loyd L.
werd.

Fart Box = Efficent in a small frequincy band

Fart Box Tuned To Car Fs = Gained efficency

Fart Sub = Efficent near the Fs of the vehicle and car Fs

add Watz and Watz of powa and you get a Big Wangin Fart

Then you test this that and the other and gain more dB.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.