CURIOUS: What makes one sub louder than another?

just wonder what does FS do in a SPL sub?
i know why all the others //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Fs is the frequncy a sub likes to resonate at. Fs is it's resonant frequincy. It is determined by moving mass and the suspension. The looser the suspension and the more the moving mass the lower the Fs. The stiffer the suspension and the lower the moving mass the greater the Fs.

In a perfect world Fs of the sub, tuning of the box, and volume reconant frequincy of the vehicle would all be the same.

In the real world SPL oritented subs generally have a higher Fs as they are designed to play higher tones.

Xmax means little once you hit the SPL world...espeically if you have plenty of room for non linear displacement.

Fs is the frequncy a sub likes ro tesonate at.
In a perfect world Fs of the sub, tuning of the box, and volume reconant frequincy of the vehicle would all be the same.

In the real world SPL oritented subs generally have a higher Fs as they are designed to play higher tones.

Xmax means little once you hit the SPL world...espeically if you have plenty of room for non linear displacement.
Beat me to it.

From that you will see SPL subs with very stiff suspensions. This does two things. Helps to limit the movement to keep all that power under controll and it raises the Fs to counteract the extra moving mass that is generally there because of the bigger coils. This will in turn lower efficency (higher mms and stiffer suspension) but that is counteracted by extreme B-feild in the gap helping out Bl greatly (well bigger coils help bl too). To increase B-feild in SPL oriented woofers like your MT they tighten the gap and minimuze clearances. This makes for a coil that may bump and rub on the pole. That isnt always a bad thing for us guys though...

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Fs is the frequncy a sub likes to resonate at. Fs is it's resonant frequincy. It is determined by moving mass and the suspension. The looser the suspension and the more the moving mass the lower the Fs. The stiffer the suspension and the lower the moving mass the greater the Fs.

what about a loose suspension and a lighter mass??

the best answer to what makes one sub louder than another..

the user //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Loyd L.

I'm still not really getting it I guess.

50hz any sub will move in and out 50 times a second. I don't see how the power of the motor or anything thing like that comes into play. MTs can play at 50hz and so can Xplods. So if both subs are playing at 50hz, both subs are making the same movements if we pretend they have the exact same excursion. I don't get how the MT would displace more air.

Im confused.

I'm still not really getting it I guess.
50hz any sub will move in and out 50 times a second. I don't see how the power of the motor or anything thing like that comes into play. MTs can play at 50hz and so can Xplods. So if both subs are playing at 50hz, both subs are making the same movements if we pretend they have the exact same excursion. I don't get how the MT would displace more air.

Im confused.
... SPL gods...

50 hz is 50 hz no matter what... but there's a GIANT variable... amplitude...

and that is affected by topology, box design, vehicle acoustics, and SPL gods..

Loyd L.

stronger = stronger

bl= strength

all comes into effect and yes both play the 50hz but a MT does it with more force. think of it as xplod being a 300pound man that can only bench 100pounds, mt as same weight of 300 but can bench 400. they are both same size doing the same motion but one is stronger force

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.