Couple simple alarm questions...

Zesty
10+ year member

Looking to buy an alarm for my 1993 Nissan 240sx fastback. After reviewing, I really like the Python 5900 and am leaning towards that. My question is:

I don't think I can even use the remote start on my car, since it is a traditional standard transmission(clutch-pedal must be fully depressed). This doesn't bother me much, I just want a good reliable alarm with long range.

1)Is there a model with the same features, just no remote start to save me some cash?

2)If not, is it okay to buy this alarm even though I can't use the remote start? Like is the remote start a separate unit that I could just not install?

*Edit* Also, what is the deal with buying a car alarm off the 'net? I am looking at the price at hookedontronics and was wondering if they are a reputable company.

you "can" connect a remote start and retain use of the clutch safety switch - clifford has a piece out that tackles this, but most states have laws against it and most insurance companies will not cover the car if they find out about it.

Get the Viper 5002, it is only an alarm, however MOST nissans have a neutral safety wire that goes right to the ecu. Ive done numerous remote starts on 5 spd /6spd maximas, all with the neutral safety wires. The years were ranging from 95-2004. If the neutral safety wire is hooked up properly, before it actually remote starts it will check to make sure the car is in N, if so the remote start with continue, if it is left in gear the remote start will not engage. To do the clutch bypass, the easiest thing to do is to send a negative signal(using one of the unused outputs of the alarm brain) to the positve wire of the clutch switch

To be honest I am such a newb to all this I'm not sure, but as I understand it a 2-way system would mean it comes with a pager? As in the system has 2-way communication between the pager/alarm? I definitely would want a pager to let me know when the car is being messed with.

Anyone with any experience with HookedOnTronics?

ok so I bought a Viper 5900 which should be here Friday according to UPS.

A quick question: I am putting the alarm on a Nissan 240sx fastback. Will this alarm go off for sure if someone breaks one of my windows? I basically only have 3 windows I need to worry about(driver/passnger/hatch).

Do I need to get anything else, or will this alarm handle this out of the box?

nothing is ever "for sure" even death and taxes are escapable now.

It is all in the install, if you install and set it up correctly, you SHOULD have no problems, should being the key word. Electronics are feeble, prone to failure. Never let an alarm substitute good tactics.

Sorry I think I worded that wrong. I understand no alarm is 100%. My question is, does this alarm have any sort of glass break sensors? In other words, does the alarm ONLY have a shock/vibration sensor, or does it ALSO have some sort of glass break sensors? Thanks for the help.

i have ordered 3 alarms from hookedontronics. i have order my 791 and my clifford 50.5x basicly the viper 5900 the brain was dead when i got it so i ordered another one.

OK so I bought the alarm off E-Bay and have had it installed for a couple weeks now. I can safely say I am extremely happy with the purchase all around. I DID NOT get the remote start installed as the shop I went to would simply not do it(car is a 5-spd). My question is:

Is the remote start an actual separate unit?

Because they installed the alarm in my car WITHOUT remote start feature, so I'm wondering if they kept my remote start unit(if there is such a thing). Or if it is something that is built-into the Viper 5900 and someone just needs to "activate" it on my car?

it should be in the box it is a relay pack with 3 red wires, a orange, pink, pink/white,green, purple. and ribbon cable and a nother little plug that goes ontop of the relay pack. if the kept it go back and demand it back as it is part of your unit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.