converting front usb to rear usb

Participant count
  • Participant list

pbnj22
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Duluth MN
anyone ever done this? or is it even possible?

i have an older kenwood kdc mp 44u2 (i think) head unit with front usb and i was wondering if i could make it a rear usb and then run some usb male to female cables under the dash and come up the center console for a more clean look?

anyone have any eexperience with this??

I'm rather amateur, however if there's no usb plug already on the back I don't imagine you being able to install one (or ghetto rig one at that).

For a "cleaner" look, I might take the usb cord and run it straight down and under the deck to the dashboard, attach some extenders and bring it out the glove box. But then you still have like an inch of cord sticking out, but no ipod right? lol

if the usb jack is on a harness that goes to the circuit board...you can take the deck apart pop the usb connecter loose then attach your cable inside the deck...route it out the rear then do what you want...then just keep the usb cover closed at all times on front of the deck.....since there would be a hole there...you could gorilla tape from the inside of the deck a small piece in reverse (black side of tape ) covering the hole so it will be solid if opened

sounds like more of a project than expected... ughh
only other way is maybe plugging your cable into the front then looping it through your dash bezel and making it come out somewhere else at least it wont be a bunch of cables hanging from the front of your dash...you could get a right angle 90 usb adapter to put the wire closer to the deck....and not stick out as far....

USB Right angle male to female extension Cable 1M | eBay

if the usb jack is on a harness that goes to the circuit board...you can take the deck apart pop the usb connecter loose then attach your cable inside the deck...route it out the rear then do what you want...then just keep the usb cover closed at all times on front of the deck.....since there would be a hole there...you could gorilla tape from the inside of the deck a small piece in reverse (black side of tape ) covering the hole so it will be solid if opened
This ^^^^

I mean the deck was not made that way so its not something that is gonna take 2 seconds, u gotta reengineer the deck.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.