cone size vs. watts

well ive heard 10s and ive heard 15s and you cant rlly hear the lows on 10s and when you look at frequency response on 10s its usually about 25-26hz were as 15s usually rated for 20 or below

well ive heard 10s and ive heard 15s and you cant rlly hear the lows on 10s and when you look at frequency response on 10s its usually about 25-26hz were as 15s usually rated for 20 or below

so I am not feeling lows in these videos?

No one should really be playing frequencys of 20hz or below in a car system...

It is false that a 18" driver can play lower frequencys that a smaller driver.

OMG you failed basic math.
two 15" drivers have 353.26 square inches of speaker surface area.

three 10" drivers have 235.5 square inches of speaker surface area.

The 2 15" drivers have A LOT more surface area.

And a 10" speaker can play just as low as a 18" speaker. The 18 will not get lower or play lower. What it will do is play the lower frequencies louder. This is known as low end extension.
So basically saying the bigger the circle the better? what else factors into how low and loud a sub will hit? Also whats with square subs are they any better or just over hype?

No one should really be playing frequencys of 20hz or below in a car system...
Why not?

Oh, and I get subbass out of 6.5s...with 2mm of linear travel...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

So basically saying the bigger the circle the better? what else factors into how low and loud a sub will hit? Also whats with square subs are they any better or just over hype?
No. If you want to compare output potential of a driver you need to calculate the VD of the driver.

π • r² is the formula for factoring a circles surface area.

As far as square subs.... They have more surface area then their circle counter part.

IE - 12" circle = 113.04

12" square = 144.00

So more surface area = more potential for output.

OMG you failed basic math.
two 15" drivers have 353.26 square inches of speaker surface area.

three 10" drivers have 235.5 square inches of speaker surface area.

The 2 15" drivers have A LOT more surface area.

And a 10" speaker can play just as low as a 18" speaker. The 18 will not get lower or play lower. What it will do is play the lower frequencies louder. This is known as low end extension.
so did you dipshit as the surface area of a speaker, also known as effective piston area or surface displacement is not calculated with the size of the speaker... so before you ridicule someone else KEEP READING

as for the gentleman that said larger subwoofers play deeper better... your also wrong, its a common mistake so i won't ridicule you but 10's will play just as deep as 18's in the proper enclosure and power.

a "general" on effective piston area would be 310cm^2 for 10's 480cm^2 for 12's and 810cm^2 for 15s 15's vary from 1050cm^2 to 1200cm^2... all these are averages as every speaker is different

so 2-15's are about the same as 5-10's, 1-18 is closer to 4-10's

there are many many factors that contribute to that last bit of difference when cone area, wattage, and vehicle are all the same, one thing to look at is efficiency, in this situation the setup that is more efficient will obviously play louder. normally its cheaper to go for cone area at the expense of SQ, example, it would be cheaper to pick up 4 cheap 10's than 1 decent 18. hope that helps

No. If you want to compare output potential of a driver you need to calculate the SD of the driver.
π • r² is the formula for factoring a circles surface area.

As far as square subs.... They have more surface area then their circle counter part.

IE - 12" circle = 113.04

12" square = 144.00

So more surface area = more potential for output.
OK, so the only thing to look at really in a good sub is the watts and driver size and what else?

i also heard from people who sell square subs say that they dont play as well bcuz their edges hit the corners and effect the excursion of the sub while its playing or is that just the kicker CVX's (ones with the ridges on them.)

OK, so the only thing to look at really in a good sub is the watts and driver size and what else?
i also heard from people who sell square subs say that they dont play as well bcuz their edges hit the corners and effect the excursion of the sub while its playing or is that just the kicker CVX's (ones with the ridges on them.)
the cvx is the round one, your refering to the L5 L7 and solox, all square subs. The people that run them for the most part swear by them and kicker claims thru there many years of research that their square subs play as well as others round subs, i personally don't see how thats physically possible but the difference is probably minimal

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.