cone size vs. watts

pimpnyou204
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Sorry for the kinda long post but im not sure how to explain this any shorter and really give a detailed question but..

Basically when talking cone area and watts at what cost is each better (for deep bass?)

Lets say you have enough room for...

2 15s 2000 watts rms each

and

3 10s 1300 watts rms each

Now both are the same cone area and watts which would you go with and why?

Now if you had...

1 18 2000 watts rms

and

2 10s 1000 watts rms each

Both are the same watts but the cone area is slightly bigger on the 10s would you go with that?

Ok so lets say you had to choose between these which is better?

1 18 2000 watts rms

and

2 10s 800 watts rms each

So basically saying would u prefer the extra watts and smaller cone area or the extra watts with smaller cone area?

These questions are based on more than enough room for box sizes etc.

The bigger speakers get deeper and lower than the smaller speakers Ie- 1 18 would get alot lower than 2 10s but depending on many other factors there output volume could be realitivly similar

Enclusore... and all the specs on the sub but if you had 2 subs that the only difference was cone size and the enclosures were exactly the same not that thats possible but just if you did then the larger cone size would get lower

Enclusore... and all the specs on the sub but if you had 2 subs that the only difference was cone size and the enclosures were exactly the same not that thats possible but just if you did then the larger cone size would get lower
Sorry for all the questions but what specs can you look at on a sub thatll tell you how deep it will get?

OMG you failed basic math.

two 15" drivers have 353.26 square inches of speaker surface area.

three 10" drivers have 235.5 square inches of speaker surface area.

The 2 15" drivers have A LOT more surface area.

And a 10" speaker can play just as low as a 18" speaker. The 18 will not get lower or play lower. What it will do is play the lower frequencies louder. This is known as low end extension.

I'm not rlly an expert im just trying to give you an answer cuz no one else is but i think the cone size and the amount of excursion and how much power are the most important in determining how low the sub can go

I'm not rlly an expert im just trying to give you an answer cuz no one else is but i think the cone size and the amount of excursion and how much power are the most important in determining how low the sub can go
so if I make a thread that asks the answer for 2+2 and nobody answers, then any old **** will be a good answer?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.