component sets vs pro audio

Participant count
  • Participant list

jstaguy24
10+ year member

i picked up some really cheap renegade 6.5 components to get some tunes in my suburban. they are temporary while I get door panels, wiring, upholstery etc all done and then i will be looking for something better. I just sold my truck and my jbl ms-62c components went with it.

my question is whether to go back with some nice component sets? or to go with pro audio equipment. i was looking at the soundqubed qp-mr6.5 speakers and bullet tweeters. cost wise they are considerably cheaper and get louder, but how are they for sq? they have great reviews but i have never tried any pro audio. i have had many jbl component sets, some polk, kicker etc. just trying to plan my setup. my subs right now will be 2 boston g2 15's and I'll be running everything on my jbl gto5ez. i bought the amp for my truck i sold. will probably get a different 4 channel later, and a monoblock.

i have also considers getting a second jbl gto5ez. run one sub on each amp and have 8 channels for my highs to do whatever i want with

"but how are they for sq?"

Theres a reason you'll never see bullet tweeters in a name brand home speaker.

Now if you are going for a bass race type of setup those tweets are the only thing that will scream loud enough to be heard over the bass, but thats not SQ.

i like my music loud and clear. i had jbl p662 components in my s10 with a w12gti sub. i could crank it until it hurt the ears, but it always sounded clear. my blazer i had polk dxi's then later i got the jbl ms 62c's. they sounded great, but would not crank like the p662's would without getting distorted. I've really been considering the jbl p662's again since they are 2 ohm for more power from the amp, and my experience with them. will be looking for something that will get loud like they did, and remain really clear

Pro audio can def sound good enough to do "loud and clear". you just need to play with the tweeter positioning mostly. The mids also won't play lower midbass real well, so having sub that plays higher bass is usually a good thing. The GTI sub you had was good for that, if your still using it. JBL makes nice gear for the most part, IME. Anyways if you know the JBL's get loud enough for you and you liked them I'd do those first. That being said, pro audio can sound good when properly implemented, but it is a bitter rougher sound right out of the box for sure, it's designed for people who know how to setup systems for a living. Not really designed to simply be thrown into a car and played.

i had the jbl gti years ago. I am installing 2 boston g2 15's in this install. my goal is to eventually get back up to something similar to the gti sound quality.

what would be some good component sets at 2 ohm, i can still find the jbl p660's on eBay for around 150 or less, sonic has the jbl gto's for under 100. not sure how they compare to the p660's. also has infinity or the re xxx's but much higher price point at 269.00

i really want to end up with a system I'm completely happy with and not looking for my next upgrade. oh wait does that ever happen in car audio??

Last edited by a moderator:
i like my music loud and clear. i had jbl p662 components in my s10 with a w12gti sub. i could crank it until it hurt the ears, but it always sounded clear. my blazer i had polk dxi's then later i got the jbl ms 62c's. they sounded great, but would not crank like the p662's would without getting distorted. I've really been considering the jbl p662's again since they are 2 ohm for more power from the amp, and my experience with them. will be looking for something that will get loud like they did, and remain really clear
If you dont have a good head unit or sound processor then taming pro audio speakers would be a chore and hassle.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.