Complete newb, need help please.

Cadillac182
10+ year member

New York
Hey, I've been browsing this site and a few others and can't seem to get the basic info I need. I did search before posting, I was wondering if someone could please help me. I'm looking to build a decent heavy hitting sound system for 90 Cadillac DeVille.. Could anyone recommend me a good audio build for the DeVille? I'm going to be taking all of the stock **** out and also looking to install a new audio player, what would be a good brand? My last car had a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X794 and it was pretty good, but I'd like to know what's better.

So if you could, please let me know some good audio players/amps/subs/tweeters and whatever build you think would sound good.. I've been using crutchfield for the fit and I've been reading the reviews, but I still don't know what's worth the money and what isn't. Sorry if this is a really newbish post, but that's what I am. Thanks for your help in advance //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Crutchfield is way expensive, I would suggest sonicelectonix.com not sure if I will get in trouble about posting that about crutch. But if you would have asked me back in the 90's I would of told you what you needed, but with so many brands out there I can't help you much . And this site is awesome as well for finding good deals as well, glad you made it here. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Haha, I hope you don't! I posted on a few other sites a few days ago and no one would respond to me despite posting in the right section. Thanks so much for the info, I really appreciate it. Checking the site out right now.

You'd get a hell of a lot more useful information if you'd tell us:

- how much money you're looking to spend.

- whether you want SPL or sound quality.

And yes, you'll want to avoid Crutchfield.....unless they're having a BOGO sale. However, it's sometimes okay for a new guy to buy cd players from them, because they provide wiring harness, install kit and step by step directions as a package with the actual unit.

Right now, Crutchfield has brand new Type R 10's for $99! Can't beat that! lol
Well then, I should've added clearance sales to my BOGO comment.

I haven't bought anything from Crutchfield since they had a clearance on Polk Momo stuff. It was BOGO for subs and components. Four bnib 10" Polk Momos and two pairs of 5.25" comps for like $350 & change and free shipping.

You'd get a hell of a lot more useful information if you'd tell us:
- how much money you're looking to spend.

- whether you want SPL or sound quality.

And yes, you'll want to avoid Crutchfield.....unless they're having a BOGO sale. However, it's sometimes okay for a new guy to buy cd players from them, because they provide wiring harness, install kit and step by step directions as a package with the actual unit.
What do you mean SPL? I have 2k to spend but cheaper would be better haha. I'm going to end up putting two subs in my trunk, so I'm wondering what sounds good and is a decent price? I'm completlyyyy new at this, and trying to learn but information on the internet isn't that specific.

if u want bass, id grab 2 12" lvl 4 xl, and attach 2 ap3000 to them...or something along those lines, i saw ap3000 bc its inexpensive power...with the subs and amps, ur looking at $1400...then uve got $600 for wires, box, speakers, amp, headunit, batts...that'll be easy to find...box, make it urself, itll be like

$40...wires you grab for like another $40-50...u can grab some decent speaker and amp combos from sonicelectronics...grab a headunit n sum dekas and you'll be rite around 2g's and it'll pound

I bought my head unit from sonics and it came with wiring harness free and the step by step no but it still shows you color coordinated wires. But I have hooked up a few dozen stereos so it was easy for me. I would consider better then Alpine if your spending that much.

if u want bass, id grab 2 12" lvl 4 xl, and attach 2 ap3000 to them...or something along those lines, i saw ap3000 bc its inexpensive power...with the subs and amps, ur looking at $1400...then uve got $600 for wires, box, speakers, amp, headunit, batts...that'll be easy to find...box, make it urself, itll be like $40...wires you grab for like another $40-50...u can grab some decent speaker and amp combos from sonicelectronics...grab a headunit n sum dekas and you'll be rite around 2g's and it'll pound

Don't forget a H/O alty if you plan on running close to this power amount. Whenever charging system needs to be overhauled, it gets expensive. Probably 1k in charging system, not leaving much room for nice equipment.

I'd rather see OP run ~1krms and not spend a fortune unnecessarily.

woofersetc and sonicelectronix are good sites to browse through.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Don't forget a H/O alty if you plan on running close to this power amount. Whenever charging system needs to be overhauled' date=' it gets expensive. Probably 1k in charging system, not leaving much room for nice equipment.
I'd rather see OP run ~1krms and not spend a fortune unnecessarily.

woofersetc and sonicelectronix are good sites to browse through.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.[/quote']

if he were to grab a couple dekas, he mite be able to get away with his stock alt...ive seen and herd of ppl running some serious power through the stock alt with a bank of batteries tho...but u r rite, i 4got about a h/o alt...that would be the better way to provide the power

Batteries have a reserve. But since this will be for daily, not short burps, the batteries will drain faster than the small alternator can charge them. Thus the batteries will only be of help for that short period of time.

It'd be like having a lake fed by a small spring, and expecting it to turn into a raging river on the other end. It will be a raging river until the lake (batteries) is dried up, then it will be a small spring, just like the source.

Batteries can be great when all you need is a little buffer, but that would be more extreme imho.

Knowing the amperage of the stock alternator would help. Some are 60a, some are 130a. It's a wide spectrum.

if u want bass, id grab 2 12" lvl 4 xl, and attach 2 ap3000 to them...or something along those lines, i saw ap3000 bc its inexpensive power...with the subs and amps, ur looking at $1400...then uve got $600 for wires, box, speakers, amp, headunit, batts...that'll be easy to find...box, make it urself, itll be like $40...wires you grab for like another $40-50...u can grab some decent speaker and amp combos from sonicelectronics...grab a headunit n sum dekas and you'll be rite around 2g's and it'll pound
This post is brought to you by dumbassery, failure and lulz. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.