Class D vs Class A/B

I think like you some people believe EQ is the answer, but there are many other factors to consider on how the final sound is achieved.
Have them Take the 10k challenge then

The Richard Clark Amp Challenge is a listening test intended to show that as long as a modern audio amplifier is operated within its linear range (below clipping), the differences between amps are inaudible to the human ear. Because thousands of people have taken the test, the test is significant to the audiophile debate over audibility of amplifier differences. This document was written to summarize what the test is, and answer common questions about the test. Richard Clark was not involved in writing this document.

The challenge

Richard Clark is an audio professional. Like many audiophiles, he originally believed the magazines and marketing materials that different amplifier topologies and components colored the sound in unique, clearly audible ways. He later did experiments to quantify and qualify these effects, and was surprised to find them inaudible when volume and other factors were matched.

His challenge is an offer of $10,000 of his own money to anyone who could identify which of two amplifiers was which, by listening only, under a set of rules that he conceived to make sure they both measure “good enough” and are set up the same. Reports are that thousands of people have taken the test, and none has passed the test. Nobody has been able to show an audible difference between two amps under the test rules.

This article will attempt to summarize the important rules and ramifications of the test, but for clarity and brevity some uncontroversial, obvious, or inconsequential rules are left out of this article. The full rules, from which much of this article was derived, are available here and a collection of Richard's comments are available here.

Testing procedure

The testing uses an ABX test device where the listener can switch between hearing amplifier A, amplifier B, and a randomly generated amplifier X which is either A or B. The listener's job is to decide whether source X sounds like A or B. The listener inputs their guess into a computerized scoring system, and they go on to the next identification. The listener can control the volume, within the linear (non-clipped) range of the amps. The listener has full control over the CD player as well. The listener can take as long as they want to switch back and forth between A, B, and X at will.

Passing the test requires two sets of 12 correct identifications, for a total of 24 correct identifications. To speed things up, a preliminary round of 8 identifications, sometimes done without levels or other parameters perfectly matched, is a prerequisite.

Richard Clark normally has CD source, amplifiers, high quality home audio speakers, and listening environment set up in advance. But if the listener requests, they can substitute whatever source, source material, amplifiers, speakers (even headphones), and listening environment they prefer, within stipulated practical limits. The source material must be commercially available music, not test signals. Richard Clark stipulates that the amplifiers must be brand name, standard production, linear voltage amplifiers, and they must not fail (e.g. thermal shutdown) during the test.

Amplifier requirements

The amplifiers in the test must be operated within their linear power capacity. Power capacity is defined as clipping or 2% THD 20Hz to 10kHz, whichever is less. This means that if one amplifier has more power (Watts) than the other, the amplifiers will be judged within the power range of the least powerful amplifier .

The levels of both left and right channels will be adjusted to match to within .05 dB. Polarity of connections must be maintained so that the signal is not inverted. Left and Right cannot be reversed. Neither amplifier can exhibit excessive noise. Channel separation of the amps must be at least 30 dB from 20Hz to 20kHz.

All signal processing circuitry (e.g. bass boost, filters) must be turned off, and if the amplifier still exhibits nonlinear frequency response, an equalizer will be set by Richard Clark and inserted inline with one of the amps so that they both exhibit identical frequency response. The listener can choose which amplifier gets the equalizer .

Last edited:
Class d has gotten better but a/b better sound. If just need raw power for subs class d. Front staging a/b
Wanna back that up by taking the richard clark amplifier challenge that's objectively proven otherwise with a relatively large research sample size.

Only people that had a decent score had pitch perfect hearing a extremely rare genetic trait while every so called audiophile in the car audio universe all failed completely.

Last edited:
Wanna back that up by taking the richard clark amplifier challenge that's objectively proven otherwise with a relatively large research sample size.

Only people that had a decent score had pitch perfect hearing a extremely rare genetic trait while every so called audiophile in the car audio universe all failed completely.
Richard Clark from autosound 2000? My experience has been a/b sounded better. Some will tell u all amps sound the same too

Richard Clark from autosound 2000? My experience has been a/b sounded better. Some will tell u all amps sound the same too
used in specified ranges along with a proper tune, you wont hear a difference. The only difference is when class A/B clips it clips softer than Class D in terms of sound quality which is the main difference. However with more power, Class D can maintain low distortion levels easier due to not being over driven. Plus the quality of the amp plays a big role, expensive class D is different from cheap and mid tier class D and is on par with any class A/B you can throw out. The challenge is listed above your comment, you can read all about it.

Was just saying from my experience maybe I'm biased maybe it was setting on amp idk but still going with for me a/b for soundstage and class d for subs
If anybody could hear the difference, Mr. Clark would be broke. If you can hear the difference in amps either you're comparing against a total garbage amps (not even sure if anything that bad is still manufactured today) or you're doing something wrong.

If anybody could hear the difference, Mr. Clark would be broke. If you can hear the difference in amps either you're comparing against a total garbage amps (not even sure if anything that bad is still manufactured today) or you're doing something wrong.
Why are they making class a/b?

Why are they making class a/b?
because they are banking on newbies discovering car audio while reading outdated information and myths to overcharge for less power. You should ask why the sound quality audio legends like zed, hybrid audio, helix, mosconi, audison, focal, hertz and even the mainstream brands are all slowly transitioning to include class D in their lineups and continually improve each generation when before they would not touch it with a 10 foot pole. Times are changing and people are recognizing their predispositions based on old technology and stereotypical myths are hurting their sales.

This is scott bulwada owner of hybrid audio technologies, last year 2019 he achieved a record breaking the highest score ever on sound quality and before than he's been either winning or top 3 for decades. He had a car ALL class D amps that won the year he had this build back almost a decade ago. Again, its the Indian not the arrow. Proper SQ can be achieved with most amps if you have the headroom. You can make a class D sound like a Class A/B(which is coloured to hell and not a natural flat signal in most cases which gives the illusion of a different sound out the box its just heavily EQ'd while class D is neutral) through a proper tune. So unless you have no clue on how to tune a system then yeah i'd see why you'd think class A/B would be better. However to people that know how to do a proper SQ tune, time delay, attack, soundstage width, depth, tonality, Real Time Analzyer work, Acoustical treatments, positioning etc... Class A/B to Class D means nothing. All the factors that actual matter in sound quality vs what amp topology is best... what do you think matters more?

Last edited:
He's ot broke cuz he won't pay up to the people that passed it

apparently a couple of people passed it and richard clark has made all sorts of excuses not to pay and reneged on his bet. There was a non related thread where he was brought up and everyone out of the wood work came out and was trashin on him in diyma a couple years ago btw. But in general most people failed. Mainly because he literally RTA and EQ's the signal so its completely identical and use it within power capacity so most normal people would never tell the difference. Which is why I tell people install, acoustical treatments and tune is everything. After a proper tune, all amps sound the same just class D has more power so theres no use in going class A/B unless you are SQ illiterate and cant tune for **** and rely on amplifier colouring for "warmth" which is easily achieved with a proper tune anyways.
If u can't tell the difference then good for u .you can save money . The test has been defunked

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.