Class D vs Class A/B

I personally run the DD C4.100 which is class AB, I also considered the Morel 4 channel which is also class AB. In general Class AB Amps are known for a warmer sound than a class D, even tho class D amps are found in some high end home audio amps they still tend to have a more neutral sound than the class AB. Will your ears know the difference? Probably in a comparison, but will you know the difference once installed? My guess is not, you will be happy with a class D with quality component speakers.

I can be a stickler for this stuff and I’m happy I went with morel components and a class AB amp to power them because it just adds a bit of warmth to the sound and it’s pleasing to me. I believe I would be just as happy with a class D as I’ve owned them before and didn’t think twice about it.
good one mate

Eh this was educational I’d like to think I helped in bringing out the experts on caraudio.com to shine their knowledge. So what did we learn class?
If you you’re not buying from autozone you’re overpaying and you’re foolish!
Why buy nice things when you can buy cheaper equivalents?
Common sense isn’t so common.
Exactly why i think this thread was a winner. Although Jeff and the other guys had told me some of this stuff before. I just couldn’t find the thread so I made this new one. Always good to get a little more meticulous details of the “why”.

Track down a good class a/b, modern are lower damping and have weaker power supplies than the oldschool versions. Compared to class D, a good a/b will have more damping, less thd and better channel separation and a wider, flatter response.

I could explain why
Doubt.
much stronger Opinions backed with some sound logic
So do your friends have opinions or some hard data about what audible differences class D creates?
Class D still requires a fair amount of engineering to get it to sound good with no distortion or poor frequency response.
Give 3 examples of class D amps that have such problems.
Well JL seems to explain why their class D is a good choice.
Slash series amps are like 20 years old, high switching speed and using feedback to reduce distortion is a nut that has been cracked long ago. Though if you feel you can hear the difference between one of those and something else, prove it by gain matching then picking which is which in a double blind test.

Doubt.

So do your friends have opinions or some hard data about what audible differences class D creates?

Give 3 examples of class D amps that have such problems.

Slash series amps are like 20 years old, high switching speed and using feedback to reduce distortion is a nut that has been cracked long ago. Though if you feel you can hear the difference between one of those and something else, prove it by gain matching then picking which is which in a double blind test.
Slash series are Mono amps, and the distortion isn't as affected in the lower freqs as it is in the higher ones, now that would make sense why Their full range Slash series are Class A/B. mmmmkay

Anyway, in general don't you think high speed switching power supplies and feedback loop designs have improved? Because they have gone many iterations by many different manufacturers. However you and your lovers are stuck on taking a 25k challenge to win an argument on caraudio.com.. lol

:*

Slash series are Mono amps, and the distortion isn't as affected in the lower freqs as it is in the higher ones, now that would make sense why Their full range Slash series are Class A/B. mmmmkay

Anyway, in general don't you think high speed switching power supplies and feedback loop designs have improved? Because they have gone many iterations by many different manufacturers. However you and your lovers are stuck on taking a 25k challenge to win an argument on caraudio.com.. lol

Its at severe diminishing returns which does not matter when you implement a full blown DSP tune so its a moot point

Its at severe diminishing returns which does not matter when you implement a full blown DSP tune so its a moot point
You are entitled to your wrong opinion no doubt, but I’m sure there are many that would disagree, me included. If the signal has distortion from the amp it will be heard, can’t DSP distortion out ;)

At lower power, I can’t hear a difference between class d and class AB anymore. I ran Xtant 1.1 amps long long ago, and they sounded good. I still chose class AB for any sq build. The xtant amps just sounded different. I wouldn’t say worse. Just different. These were 100 watt mono full range amps with a small footprint. The Small footprint was the selling point for me. i would run a quality class d amp full range today In my daily driver. If I were to enter some type of sq competition, I’d still go AB.

You are entitled to your wrong opinion no doubt, but I’m sure there are many that would disagree, me included. If the signal has distortion from the amp it will be heard, can’t DSP distortion out ;)
When the amp is used within its range i highly doubt you can hear any kind of distortion when THD is under .01% but hey, you are welcomed to live in your mystical pony fairy land. Ill stick to actual quantifiable data.

Not evidence, not an argument.

I ask again, name 3 class D amps in production which have audible problems.

Define what precisely makes class D sound different from A/B. Surely you can observe this with some measurement instrument and this has been quantified, right?

And yes, to prove class D sounds different from class A/B you're going to need to either show us some data or show us a few people who can consistently hear the difference in double blind test otherwise this is all just ********.

When the amp is used within its range i highly doubt you can hear any kind of distortion when THD is under .01% but hey, you are welcomed to live in your mystical pony fairy land. Ill stick to actual quantifiable data.
The problem with this argument and thread is that it has now become so convoluted that this is now just a troll thread. quantifiable data eh, look at you papi all smart and stuff ;)

Not evidence, not an argument.

I ask again, name 3 class D amps in production which have audible problems.

Define what precisely makes class D sound different from A/B. Surely you can observe this with some measurement instrument and this has been quantified, right?

And yes, to prove class D sounds different from class A/B you're going to need to either show us some data or show us a few people who can consistently hear the difference in double blind test otherwise this is all just ********.

bruh, you are too much, but I will oblige for the people reading this **** show. I can't remember any particular amp that is class D that had audible distortion issues, it has always been subjective measurments or opinions from reviewers. This was awhile go too so that is an unrealistic request.

Define precisely the architecture of class D and A/B? I'm sorry i am not an electrical engineer nor would an electrical engineer be able to do so lol. One would have to be versed in amplifier architectures and more just to have an intelligent response. However, a highlevel overview can be said by anyone including you ;) just do a google search bruh. Again encouraging everyone to do so as to not be taking caraudio gurus explanations for face value. I am not showing you ****, because this thread is ****.

The problem with this argument and thread is that it has now become so convoluted that this is now just a troll thread. quantifiable data eh, look at you papi all smart and stuff ;)

bruh, you are too much, but I will oblige for the people reading this **** show. I can't remember any particular amp that is class D that had audible distortion issues, it has always been subjective measurments or opinions from reviewers. This was awhile go too so that is an unrealistic request.

Define precisely the architecture of class D and A/B? I'm sorry i am not an electrical engineer nor would an electrical engineer be able to do so lol. One would have to be versed in amplifier architectures and more just to have an intelligent response. However, a highlevel overview can be said by anyone including you ;) just do a google search bruh. Again encouraging everyone to do so as to not be taking caraudio gurus explanations for face value. I am not showing you ****, because this thread is ****.
You've been the only one using anecdotal evidence this whole time with a **** ton of bro science thats coming straight out of your ass so yes this thread is done because you cannot offer anything of real substance.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.