Clarion Full Digital - Crossover Help

Jackers

Hi,

I am trying to setup the new Full Digital System from Clarion (Z3 tweeters, Z7 mids for front and rear doors, and dual Z25W subs.

This system is unique in that it processes the digital signal and sends it to the speakers in 1s and 0s. From there, the speaker processes that into cone movement. This eliminates the need for big amplifiers while eliminating electrical interference.

So, I'm trying to set my active crossovers for this, but because it is still so new, there isn't a lot of help online. Here is what I'm working with and what my original settings are. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Z3 tweeters:

6ohm

1.5kHz ~ 40kHz

Z7 mids:

Driving section:

89dB at 1W S/N

102dB Dynamic Range

10Hz ~ 48kHz +/- 2dB Freq Response

Speaker section:

4ohm

28Hz ~ 15kHz

60Hz Fs

0.85 Qts

Z25W subs:

Driving section:

90dB at 1W S/N

103 dB Dynamic Range

10Hz ~ 48kHz +/- 2dB

Speaker section:

4ohm

20Hz ~ 200Hz Frequency Response

38Hz Fs

4.75 Qms

And this is what I have so far. Any advice on how to dial this in?

Tweeters:

HPF = 3.15kHz

Slope = -24

Gain =-9.0

Phase = Normal

Mids:

HPF = 80Hz

Slope = -24

LPF = 2.5kHz

Slope = -18

Gain = 0

Phase = REV

Subs:

HPF = 20Hz

Slope = -12

LPF = 80Hz

Slope = -12

Gain = 0

Phase = Normal

Those speaker specs are outright ********. Why are the mids out of phase?

Where are the tweeters placed?

How much power?
What makes you say the specs are ********? I'm just asking as I don't have a good background in this. I think they sound cleaner than any speaker I've ever heard, but honestly, that isn't saying much. I'm deferring to you guys here!

I thought they sounded better out of phase.

Tweeters are in the front corners of the dash, right where the dash meets the windshield.

As for power, the is only a 12v signal going to the Z3 digital processor and 12v to each sub. It's one of the benefits of the full digital signal.

Clarion U.S.A | Full Digital Sound system

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-qnCW0cPi0J6/p_700FDSX/Clarion-Full-Digital-Sound-System.html

PASMAG | PERFORMANCE AUTO AND SOUND - Clarion Full Digital System Review

Clarion has partnered with Trigence Semiconductor and their Dnote technology
This system is basically a consumer-friendly taste of technology that will be in OEM car entertainment systems as that's where Clarion earns most of their income.

https://www.trigence.com/dnote

104bee_bea8d24f31d848b0b7c3850a2d89bf7b~mv2.webp

Thanks for all the value you bring to the thread. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/plthumbsdown.gif.d7966af824c93c6021d1aae1778b1c19.gif If you don't know how to tune it, just move on.

[quote name='Jackers']Thanks for all the value you bring to the thread. :thumbdwn: If you don't know how to tune it, just move on.[/QUOTE]

papermaker can be kinda angry at times, gets pretty argumentative too. There are several people on this forum who are very helpful, just may not be familiar with your equipment. @Jeffdachef @LosIsATool are two q minded folks who might be able to shed some light

Those speaker specs are outright ********. Why are the mids out of phase?

Where are the tweeters placed?

How much power?
Mids are sometimes put out of phase as a sort of time-alignment adjustment and/or to help with phase-shift from the filters.

Thanks! Should I do -24 slope on the subs as well?
The steepest slope possible is not always ideal. Especially for mids and tweeters. You can run everything at 24db slopes if you want, but you may find you are introducing holes in your over all frequency response. And the shallower the slope used, the less phase delay you will introduce into the signal. Ideally we would need no filters at all, but a more realistic ideal would be all 1st order crossovers (6db). Usually the subs are set with a very steep slope, mids HPF is set fairly high, and then once you get into interaction between the mid and tweeter, critical listening and fine tuning will give you the best results. Remember, the environment of your individual car will play a role in proper final tuning, so manufacturer specs or even specific freq advice given from well meaning people on the internet will only get you so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='youdoofus']papermaker can be kinda angry at times, gets pretty argumentative too. There are several people on this forum who are very helpful, just may not be familiar with your equipment. @Jeffdachef @LosIsATool are two q minded folks who might be able to shed some light[/QUOTE]

I get it, because t it gets tiring on message forums. Like would anyone talk like that in person?

The steepest slope possible is not always ideal. Especially for mids and tweeters. You can running everything at 24db slopes if you want, but you may find you are introducing holes in your over all frequency response. And the shallower the slope used, the less phase delay you will introduce into the signal. Ideally we would need no filters at all, but a more realistic ideal would be all 1st order crossovers (6db). Usually the subs are set with a very steep slope, mids HPF is set fairly high, and then once you get into interaction between the mid and tweeter, critical listening and fine tuning will give you the best results. Remember, the environment of your individual car will play a role in proper final tuning, so manufacturer specs or even specific freq advice given from well meaning people on the internet will only get you so far.
This is what I started with before I installed the subs:

HPF = 3.15kHz

Slope = 24

Gain = 0

Phase = Normal

Mids

HPF = 80Hz (my EQ only allows 80 or 100)

Slope = 24

LPF = 2kHz (my EQ only allows 1.6, 2, 2.5)

Slope = 12

Gain = 0

Phase = Reverse

I even messed around with lowering the HPF and raising the slope, but I really liked my latest settings above.

This is what I started with before I installed the subs:HPF = 3.15kHz

Slope = 24

Gain = 0

Phase = Normal

Mids

HPF = 80Hz (my EQ only allows 80 or 100)

Slope = 24

LPF = 2kHz (my EQ only allows 1.6, 2, 2.5)

Slope = 12

Gain = 0

Phase = Reverse

I even messed around with lowering the HPF and raising the slope, but I really liked my latest settings above.
Stick with what sounds best to you and you can't go wrong.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.