Choosing a subwoofer

Thanks bro. I just took a look at those. They are 1000RMS though, and I cant afford an amp to power these. I dont want to underpower and ruin them either. I'm looking at subs that are 500-800watts RMS.
you would underpower a pair of type R with that exile also. That exile only does 500watts, so you would only use 1 type R for it, two would be really underpowering it.

Also, putting less than power than rated to a sub won't ruin it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

you would underpower a pair of type R with that exile also. That exile only does 500watts, so you would only use 1 type R for it, two would be really underpowering it.
Also, putting less than power than rated to a sub won't ruin it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
I was going to get 2 amps.

Really? I've read that underpowering a sub isnt good.

BTW what type of subs are u running?

Under powering the sub won't do anything to it. It's the moron's who under power a sub and max the gain out trying to make up for the lack of power that ruin the sub. I would also suggest the Mach 5 IXL's since they are really good sub's and the customer service is really good. Not to mention the owner of the company is a regular poster on this site so he's pretty easy to get in touch with. If you look around in the classifieds or make a Want To Buy im pretty sure you can get a 2000rms amp for that price and have enough cash left over to get 1/0 wiring if you don't already have it.

Under powering the sub won't do anything to it. It's the moron's who under power a sub and max the gain out trying to make up for the lack of power that ruin the sub. I would also suggest the Mach 5 IXL's since they are really good sub's and the customer service is really good. Not to mention the owner of the company is a regular poster on this site so he's pretty easy to get in touch with. If you look around in the classifieds or make a Want To Buy im pretty sure you can get a 2000rms amp for that price and have enough cash left over to get 1/0 wiring if you don't already have it.
So if i put lets say...500 into the Mach 5s, theyll still sound good?

So if i put lets say...500 into the Mach 5s, theyll still sound good?
yea they will

Otherwise look into RE SE's if you arent going to be using all 1000RMS that the Mach 5 is capable of. An RE SE is 600 RMS, and they are pretty good SQL woofers

either would be a good route

yea they will
Otherwise look into RE SE's if you arent going to be using all 1000RMS that the Mach 5 is capable of. An RE SE is 600 RMS, and they are pretty good SQL woofers

either would be a good route
Who makes the RE SE's??

i'd rather go mach5. you won't regret gettin the IXLs. Also, 500 for an amp is easily attainable. I got my IA 20.1 rated at 1800 watts for 350shipped. You can look around for a sundown SAZ 1500 amp. they are under-rated so they will be perfect for those IXLs. Just don't turn the gain up too much. 1000 dollars for subs/amp combo is easily doable and theres a lot better choices than Type Rs. And under-powering is not a bad thing or does it do anything bad to the subs.

The other side of this set-up is the BOX. Make sure you get someone that knows what they are doing to make it or ask questions on here if you're going to build your own. This can break or make a great system.

The people whose ears I trust reviewed the 12" IXL near 500W, and said it sounded very good at that power level. But then again, they were concerned about SQ, not the "thump".

Ok, so I've read some posts and alot of ppl are saying SE over type R, but some of them, I don't think own either.

I want to feel the bass, not just hear it. I like the vibrations and stuff. Will the SE's provide this for me?

YOU have 500 for an amp and you are looking at a 500 watt Exile audio????????
AQ2200D $389 each AQ1200 $250

http://www.audioque.com/aq/order.htm

still enough left over for 1/0 gauge and maybe a deep cycle battery depending on subs.
Thanks bro, I will look into these. The guy that was selling me the exiles was ripping me off, I've looked on the net and have found cheaper stuff.

I'm also looking into cadence, hifonics, and a few other brands now that I've started reading posts.

OK SO GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY! I HAVE DECIDED TO SCRATCH THE TYPE R's (BECUASE EVERYBODY ON ONLINE CAR AUDIO THINKS THEY ****) AND HAVE DECIDED TO GO WITH EITHER RE SE, OR DD D6 D612's. WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?!?

Also should I go ported or sealed? If I go ported, is it true I will loose all SQ?

Most likely, if I can find a custom box builder for a good price, I will be getting a custom box.

i like the type-rs.. i thought they sounded good... but you would be getting ripped off, hardcore lol

you can get each type-r 12" for 100-135 on ebay each, and id run a better amp than those.. for a lot cheaper... buy the set up yourself, not through him

you will be saving hundreds of dollars...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.