choosing a batt

Participant count
  • Participant list

shammyhavik

Senior VIP Member
cali
so i'm trying to figure out the max size battery i can run in my 06 sonata lx's engine bay.

i measured the stock battery to 10' length 7' width and 7' tall with visible room on the mount plate.

idk how i mount batteries or how to figure out if it wikk fit so i am asking you all if a Xs 3100 will fit.

the specs are:

Length – 12.99 in

Height – 8.43 in

Width – 6.81 in

any other compact suggestions r welcome, i need 100 or more Ah on the batt and be able to handle atleast 3000 rms as a first battery

No the 3100 wont fit and u wont get by with a single batrery on 3000 rms unless u have a 270a+alt...look at the battery size chart to find whats the biggest u can Fit..chances are a 100ah batt isnt gona fit under there

You need to add that battery to the rear, not in the front..

Replacing your stock with that will only increase cost as you will need to run more cabling back there than necessary now to overcome resistance in the line.

I have a D3100 in my engine bay. It took A LOT of cutting and relocating to get it to fit. The battery is a lot bigger than you'd think. Like shizzzon said, put it by your amp

Sorry for taking off of your car, but I am about to run 1500 watts and have a stock battery with an 80a alternator, will an odyssey 1700 do the trick? And could I put it in the front and be fine or should I just do it in the rear?

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

The battery is 65ah.

Sorry for taking off of your car, but I am about to run 1500 watts and have a stock battery with an 80a alternator, will an odyssey 1700 do the trick? And could I put it in the front and be fine or should I just do it in the rear? 

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

The battery is 65ah.
I've ran more off of stock everything (but would not recommend it). Every setup is different. Don't skimp on the size of your wire, or other upgrades are pointless. Do the big 3. If you don't know what it is, look it up.

I mounted a digital voltage meter to my dash. It is connected to a relay and my head unit's remote turn on. It cost less than $10. It is really useful for monitoring your voltage.

If you have big voltage drop, turn it down!

I have 0 gauge wire for everything. Still waiting for big3 to come in. I'm hoping that'll do the trick. The reason I ask is because my car died at a red light randomly and the music wasn't even that loud. On the highway, it was about 13.7 volts. I already jave a volt meter

There is a reason why your car died. It's not random.

Also, a vehicle can die many ways, not just from low voltage.

I know that but it only started when I put in that amplifier. The car is mechanically sound and runs fine without it.

You need to add that battery to the rear, not in the front..
Replacing your stock with that will only increase cost as you will need to run more cabling back there than necessary now to overcome resistance in the line.
What do u mean increase cost? I know i need like 40ft o/1 pos and 28ft neg. i need to replace stock cuz its

Not agm.

If i put a 3100 in the back and one like half as powerful in the front won't the front battery get the life ****** out of itby the 3100

No why would it?

I have personally tested current draw in context of resistance in a vehicle.

The closest battery or bank to the source of the load is the primary location of power minus which device has the highest source of voltage.

Although, skimping out on wire will increase resistance lowering that high voltage.

By not having a battery in the rear, the cabling needs to not only handle the load from the alternator,

not only enough cable runs to prevent voltage drop(for a 270, 2 4/0 power and 1 4/0 ground for maximum load)

But now you have to run even more cable(if alternator is maxed out) to decrease the amount of resistance the load from the battery will induce from the length of the cabling.

A lot of this resistance can be eliminated for free by moving it to the rear.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.