Chaseinbass 96 GMC rebuild sort of ?

You think a group 78 will fit in the Tahoe battery tray? So I'm thinking of nabbing a few group 78's if they'll fit and increase my voltage. Who knows when yet but I'm still looking. I have a group 75 right now...
Ya I have two 78s up front. But that wont increase your voltage ? What you got for an alternator ? Too bad you dont live close to me I would sell you my 3 juice box gp31s at a good price but I think shipping would kill the deal,

Ya I have two 78s up front. But that wont increase your voltage ? What you got for an alternator ? Too bad you dont live close to me I would sell you my 3 juice box gp31s at a good price but I think shipping would kill the deal,
Sucky stock alt. Can't afford a HO alt right now.

Sucky stock alt. Can't afford a HO alt right now.
Those came stock with a 145 amp alt in those so it decent if its still working good ? I might sell the two cheaper extra alts I have when I get the singers fixed so save your lunch money lol !

Those came stock with a 145 amp alt in those so it decent if its still working good ? I might sell the two cheaper extra alts I have when I get the singers fixed so save your lunch money lol !
Looks like it's been replaced before. Says Autolite right on it. I think that's Autozone brand.

Looks like it's been replaced before. Says Autolite right on it. I think that's Autozone brand.
Do the two case halfs bolt together to each other or is there a space in between the too halfs maybe 1 1/2 inches of the stator is showing ? the ones with case bolting directly together are 105 amp alts and the ones with stator showing in between the two case halfs are 145 amp alts, I dont know if you can see but the stock one on driverside is 105 and the one on passenger side is 145 style ( hard to see stator because wireing I have in split loom running over it. Yours should be the 145 amp style.

View attachment 26556487

105 amp alts are called cs130 and 145 amp alts are either ad244 or dr44 only difference is in how the bridge rectifier diodes are mounted in rear case dr44 are press fit into rear case and ad244 have a simple bolt in recifier and are much easier to chang out.

Hmm...I'll have to check on the amperage, I'm not entirely sure on it tho.. But here's a pic of when I changed my wiring...

Yup, looks like both cases bolt together. I did think about getting my alt re-wound, get it higher amperage but also read that it's not a good thing to do.

Yup, looks like both cases bolt together. I did think about getting my alt re-wound, get it higher amperage but also read that it's not a good thing to do.
Ya yours is a cs130 105 amps so any of the ad244 or dr44 are a direct swap and put out 145 amps and those are less than $200 and a very

good upgrade for you. I bought two off ebay for like 165 each for backups and only time will tell but so far there doing great and suposed to do 250 amps - I am guessing 175-200 but who knows. I am going to get a 500 amp load tester so I can test these and see what they put out.

Ya yours is a cs130 105 amps so any of the ad244 or dr44 are a direct swap and put out 145 amps and those are less than $200 and a very good upgrade for you. I bought two off ebay for like 165 each for backups and only time will tell but so far there doing great and suposed to do 250 amps - I am guessing 175-200 but who knows. I am going to get a 500 amp load tester so I can test these and see what they put out.
105? Wow that's weak. I forgot to look earlier and getting dark out....I'll have to look at that tomorrow. Funny because my s10 has a 105 amperage alt, and I replaced it recently.

Ya there the same and same goes with the 145 is a direct swap for it too . I thought all Tahoes atleast all the ones I ever seen came with 145 amp alts ? Have them look it up at auto zone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coils look like stock psi coils to me, no scorching on the paper part of the coil so im sure its just fine
caps are just a really great way to help maintain good voltage at the amp because they handle surge current much much much better than any battery besides lipos of course (which still dont beat caps but they are better than caps imo).

theyre about $300 for a new bank of 6, and $150-250 for a used bank with the copper straps. only get maxwell or xs power caps the 3000f 2.5v-3v per cap version. theyre basically a huge buffer for massive current draw, instead of immediate delving into battery territory and dropping 2v, you might drop a tenth of a volt and slowly go down to battery voltages.

its important you have the alternator output to back it up, they love a lot of charging current, but it is also possible that you could drop one batt and go caps in its place. they are somewhat small. guy over on caco lunchbox has like 8 banks? and hits 160s with uhh 2 tfes? idr lol
Im running my system on a 80 amp alt and the only time i have bad voltage (12s) is at stop lights on hot days. Basically i get Ac or bass. Ive thinking of getting some caps as buffers. Can you give me some info on the viability of this?
Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ChaseinBass

CarAudio.com Veteran
ChaseinBass
Calif
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from