Changing location of ground. Quick Question.

MellowHype
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Im getting whining noises through my front speakers, also some pops and cracks. I re routed my shielded RCA's down the other side of the vehicle to the power and remote lead, but the noise is still there. It seems to be a little better than before but its still there.

Im going to move my ground location to a different point, and i was just wondering, do i have to do anything other than disconnect the negative from the battery? Can i just remove neg terminal, move ground to a more solid connection, and put neg terminal back on? Do i have to remove fuses?

Also, does anyone know how to check if its a good ground? like checking resistance or anything like that? Thanks alot for any help.

make sure the ground is attached to a piece of sheet metal, scrape the paint make it nice and shiny, the throw a few self tapping screwing through it. Do NOT use a bolt of any kind.

or just drill a whole in the car NOT THE FRAME (use a rubber grommet) and self tap the ground straight to the frame without having to run up to the engine. do yourself a favor though and use terminal ends, preferably copper and solder the wire into it

P1030789.jpg

This is what i have already, except ive sanded down all paint around it, and i have another ring terminal on it, a larger ring for the 4awg. Does it look like a good ground? Because im still getting the static noise, and i was about to move it like this using a bolt

IMG_6597.jpg

But i shouldnt use a bolt?

Is there a way to test the ground to see if its a good ground? The whining noise is driving me mad

make sure the ground is attached to a piece of sheet metal, scrape the paint make it nice and shiny, the throw a few self tapping screwing through it. Do NOT use a bolt of any kind.
Why not use a bolt?

Noises can be caused by so many things. Check every ground, even grounds under your hood. Ground your rca's together. You'll have to do a process of elimination.

P1030789.jpg

This is what i have already, except ive sanded down all paint around it, and i have another ring terminal on it, a larger ring for the 4awg. Does it look like a good ground? Because im still getting the static noise, and i was about to move it like this using a bolt

IMG_6597.jpg

But i shouldnt use a bolt?

Is there a way to test the ground to see if its a good ground? The whining noise is driving me mad
You see that seatbelt bolt????Unscrew that joker, and sand the paint around that joker, and git a washer place it under that,put your ground wir/wires with ring terminals.another washer, then put the seatbelt/bolt the seatbelt back down..Be the best solid ground you got back there:spank:

Why not use a bolt?
Noises can be caused by so many things. Check every ground, even grounds under your hood. Ground your rca's together. You'll have to do a process of elimination.
Im with you Buck. I use bolts all the time, grounding amps, front and rear batteries... Whats wrong with that?

One thing you may consider is running a ground run just like you would do a power wire. That's how my system has been from day 1 2 runs both pos and neg, amps aren't ground to frame. Grounded directly to my batteries.

You see that seatbelt bolt????Unscrew that joker, and sand the paint around that joker, and git a washer place it under that,put your ground wir/wires with ring terminals.another washer, then put the seatbelt/bolt the seatbelt back down..Be the best solid ground you got back there:spank:
Im going to have to give that a go. It does look like a solid ground. Cheers!

try undoing the zip tie and tape off of the power and rca's and keep them apart from eachother. could possibly be a negative feedback. worth a try before going in depth and more work.

That's all I use is bolts //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif and as far as using the seatbelt bolt it depends on the vehicle but I try to stay away from using that as a ground myself.

try undoing the zip tie and tape off of the power and rca's and keep them apart from eachother. could possibly be a negative feedback. worth a try before going in depth and more work.
Not a bad idea here also..may as well go ahead and get the power wire off of the speakers wire,and rcas..wouldnt hurt..I always run my power down one side just under the seat,and speaker wires in the door seals. and the rcas in the middle..Ive never had any issue like that...just a bad set of rcas

i always run the power down the driver side and zip tie the rca's and remote together down the passenger side to keep them far apart from each other. never have an issue on any of my builds doing that

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.