Caz's Questions Thread

Participant count
  • Participant list

TheCaz

Hello everyone, new here, and somewhat new to car audio. I have learned a lot in the past 6 months though.

I have a ton of questions, and I plan on posting them here, to keep the boards clutter free and all in one place.

I am currently working with a 98 Camaro.

Bought a wiring harness and dropped in (literally...it is ONLY being held with tape on the inside because the dash kit I bought was garbage). Dropped in my Pioneer DEH-P5200HD from my last car and now have things running much better.

Still planning on a HUGE speaker system upgrade. I want to keep the HU I currently have, but since the 98Maro is a 1.5DIN I plan on detting a .5DIN EQ and dropping that in, then getting a nice dash kit to wrap that all together.

Thoughts?

The amp is a small eight-channel unit mounted on a bracket on the right quarter inner fenderwell (hatch area of a coupe, trunk of a convertible). It powers a mix of 2-ohm and 4-ohm speakers. The 97 and some early 98 models came with a 200 watt amp that was physically smaller than later models. The rest of 98 through 99 came with an amp that was rated at 200-watts RMS.
Camaro coupes have eight speaker elements mounted in six locations. The eight channel amp powers all speaker elements in the Camaro coupe and all convertibles. It powers all speakers.

Camaro coupes have component 6.5S 2-ohm mids and .75" 4-ohm tweeters mounted coaxially in the doors (they look like ordinary coax speakers but are actually wired as separate components), single voice coil 6.5S 2-ohm subs in the sail panels, and 4" 4-ohm full-range speakers in the hatch area. All eight elements are powered by the amp.
This is what I have to work with on stock.

Took out the 4" Full-Range speakers in the hatch b/c they were blown.

Last edited by a moderator:
First questions:

My plan is to go with a 3-Way Component system to start. Keep the HU I have, add a EQ, then an amp (or two).

Budget is LOW, the lower the better, less than $500 for the initial build. I am thinking best bang for buck on the SQ side. I don't need a MASSIVE bump.

What frequencies should I be focusing on for each part equipment? Thinking Tweeter, Mid-Range, Mid/Low Bass. I want to be able to hit all the frequencies I want, with everything from Pink Floyd to Deadmau5 to Five Finger Death Punch to Adele. I have room for 6.5"'ers in the back, but I am thinking it might be advantageous to keep the mid-rangers and tweeters there since they are closer to my head, and the mid-bass in the doors or something if possible, since they are in my ankles. Thoughts? I don't have a problem with modding stuff, I will have a friend helping me along, but I want it CLEAN.

Also, wouldn't it be advantageous to use two amps for this build in question (one for the mid-range and tweets and one for the mid bass)(I want the mid-bass to ACTUALLY bump some bass for EDM especially), or not as important? Again, thinking cheap SQ.

Thanks for the help everyone, hope this isn't (inb4)justanothernoobthread.

Edit - If yall could drop some info on somewhat common brands/products I could research for my build, that would be much appreciated. I live in Michigan, and I will be likely buying online, or ebay...

My plan is to go with a 3-Way Component system to start. Keep the HU I have, add a EQ, then an amp (or two).
Budget is LOW, the lower the better, less than $500 for the initial build. I am thinking best bang for buck on the SQ side. I don't need a MASSIVE bump.

What frequencies should I be focusing on for each part equipment? Thinking Tweeter, Mid-Range, Mid/Low Bass. I want to be able to hit all the frequencies I want, with everything from Pink Floyd to Deadmau5 to Five Finger Death Punch to Adele. I have room for 6.5"'ers in the back, but I am thinking it might be advantageous to keep the mid-rangers and tweeters there since they are closer to my head, and the mid-bass in the doors or something if possible, since they are in my ankles. Thoughts? I don't have a problem with modding stuff, I will have a friend helping me along, but I want it CLEAN.

Also, wouldn't it be advantageous to use two amps for this build in question (one for the mid-range and tweets and one for the mid bass)(I want the mid-bass to ACTUALLY bump some bass for EDM especially), or not as important? Again, thinking cheap SQ.

Edit - If yall could drop some info on somewhat common brands/products I could research for my build, that would be much appreciated. I live in Michigan, and I will be likely buying online, or ebay...
Bump

Look at my article I put together for an installation I did a couple of years ago. I'd want to do it a bit differently today, but I did the best I could at the time with the customer's requests and preferred equipment in mind. The factory amplifier was removed and I mounted a 4-channel and a mono amplifier in its place. I would definitely skip the 1/2 DIN equalizer.

1998 Pontiac Firebird Audio Installation by Easy Way Electronics | Easy Way Electronics, Inc.

Thanks for the reply. Will definitely look into this. The 1/2 DIN EQ is simply for functionality and aesthetics up front. Since it is a 1.5DIN space, and I have a 1 DIN unit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.