Car lost all power when I wired my second amplifier

Participant count
  • Participant list

loz88

UK
Hey guys,

I have one amp running to my front components. Today I wired my second amp for my sub up (it had a seperate ground, spliced into the original remote wire and seperate power leads). Each power lead goes to the positive terminal on the battery as you would expect.

I was listening and everything was working then I went to start the car and suddenly everything went dead, the car wouldn't start, lost all power to everything, I went and unhooked the amp and everything came back. I tried again and this time everything worked and the car started but every now and again the amps would both shut off and then come back on randomly, I noticed if I move the power leads then they do a small spark on the battery terminal.

Anyone have any ideas what is going on? I am guessing the battery is not liking having both power leads together on the terminal? Or I am thinking maybe it is something as simple as not having it tightened enough

Hey guys, I noticed if I move the power leads then they do a small spark on the battery terminal.

Anyone have any ideas what is going on? I am guessing the battery is not liking having both power leads together on the terminal? Or I am thinking maybe it is something as simple as not having it tightened enough
Seems as though you've answered your own question. The spark is a direct result of the problem. I know that having two positive leads coming off the battery does not cause any ill effects...if they are wired properly.

Put the phone down and DRIVE!!

Thats kind of what I am asking, why would it cause a spark, I have just added the next power cable on top of the old one (which I never had problems with) and then tightened the bolt back up, should I try a new power lead?

---------- Post added at 03:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 AM ----------

Lose connection. Do you by chance have a distribution block?
Nope just wired both straight to the battery, ill make sure it is tighter then and give it a try thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.