Car Audio: Stereo VS Surround...your thoughts.

Participant count
  • Participant list

NSTALN
10+ year member

Dismember
I recently was in a car accident that totaled my old car resulting in me getting a new truck. With a new vehicle comes a new build.

I have plenty of processing, nice equipment, budget and install ability to do whatever I want...just trying to figure out what type of system to put in. Traditional systems are stereo but surround seems to be an emerging trend.

My thoughts are ranging from simple active 2-way front with sub(maybe 3-way front)...to 5.1 with dual subs.

Anyone out there try both surround and stereo that can give me some thoughts/comparisons? Pro/Cons of each?

From doing this myself and going back and forth.

Only one DSP does true 5.1 right now

You really have to have a center channel because the pro of 5.1 is a 2 seat tune.

Very few songs made a noticeable difference.

Amount of subs won't matter because they will still be mono.

Final thoughts

Unless your car already has a good sized center channel, at least a 4in and you are ready to drop a lot of cash just stay 2.1.

Yes 5.1 can make the room seem larger but it don't work on every song.

Also you would really need 2 h800s. One won't handle enough channels unless every speaker is a coax

From doing this myself and going back and forth. Only one DSP does true 5.1 right now

You really have to have a center channel because the pro of 5.1 is a 2 seat tune.

Very few songs made a noticeable difference.

Amount of subs won't matter because they will still be mono.

Final thoughts

Unless your car already has a good sized center channel, at least a 4in and you are ready to drop a lot of cash just stay 2.1.

Yes 5.1 can make the room seem larger but it don't work on every song.

Also you would really need 2 h800s. One won't handle enough channels unless every speaker is a coax
Thanks for the reply...

The plan (if I go 5.1) is to use AudioFrog GB10 tweets in factory location (dash firing off glass), AF GS 6x9's front door, AF GS62 coax's for rear and a single GS42 for the center...and of course subs. The H800 will allow Fnt hi Rt, Fnt low Rt, Fnt hi Lt, Fnt low Lt, Rr Rt, Rr Lt, Center, and Sub...so in theory a 2-way active front Lf and Rt, coax center and rears.

The idea of a two-seat tune really is what is appealing to me...it's an extra-cab truck and a two-seater.

As far as 5.1 processing the Alpine boasts Dolby Digital DTS, Dolby Pro Logic II, and Alpine propietary 5.1 called Euphony.

A 6x9 won't mate to the gb10. It will barely mate to the 15. You would want the 2.5 in the middle. Or a wide bander like the Hybrid LE3SE or audible physics RAM2
Yeah I was thinking that as well...I have been eye-balling the GS 6x9 mid that is s'posed to be designed to mate with the GS10...I do have GB25's and the GB2510c passives to go along with them...that would mean potentially a 3-way front (active midbass to midrange, passive between the midrange and tweet)...then the coaxs rear and center.

The problem with adding the GB25's into the mix is where to put them...Running a 5.1 I've read that I'll want to have them (mids and tweets) high in the door panels to widen the sound stage and reinforce the center speaker. This means going with pods of some sort or finding some real estate on the door panels...hmmmm.

I do have room in my upper door panel for the mids...however the tweets my have to go in the pilar.....they may be about 1ft apart...which isn't ideal. The GB25's would be just above knee height on the door and on-axis with the midbass drivers.

2gw6obc.jpg

I could make some sort of pod just under the door handle area and maybe tuck the tweeter up top...if not then there's always the A-pilar. I could probably get tricky and mount the gigantic passive crossovers to the doors too with the plexi window exposed....

Well...that won't work...just ran out to my truck and the tweeter location I marked is totally covered when the door is closed...

...and this all makes me wonder if it's worth the pain in the a$$ to go 5.1. Once I start thinking about cutting into doors and custom mounting x-overs it kinda makes me want to go simple again...I have a pair of Morel Supremo Piccolo's that will fit in the dash location...I can pick up a nice set of 6.5's and run a single sub off one of my 900/5's...small and simple.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.