llmercll
10+ year member

Hey everyone!

I've got a 2001 honda civic 2 door with

1x Pioneer DEHP4700MP head unit

2x front 6.5" $50 pioneer speakers from 05'

2x rear JBL GTO938 6 x 9 new

1x Kenwood Kac-8405 amp new

I've got it hooked up with knukonceptz 4ga cable and have done 2 out of the big 3 (haven't done alternator).

I'm not happy with the sound quality, and am almost certain (but open to suggestions) it is because of the front speakers. They aren't even running off the amp, and are a mediocre pair of coaxial pioneers from 05'

If I'm not mistaken, the best thing I can do for my setup is to add some components in the front and run them off my amp, along with my rears.

My questions are, what is a good $100 pair of component speakers, and what would be the ideal location to mount the tweeter?

I assume I would mount my woofer at the bottom (where the coaxials currently are) but am unsure of the "ideal" location for the tweeters.

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/299/img0668gf.jpg

I'm thinking about purchasing one of these...

Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB6501 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component System (Pair, Silver): Car Electronics

Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 6030cs 6.5-Inch 270-Watt Two-Way Component System: Car Electronics

thanks!

most speakers you will install will sound soso unless you amp them.have you matted the doors ? this will help.most $100 components wont sound very good tho ,you might wanna up your budget by another 50-100 for a better set ,or look used

Hey everyone!
I've got a 2001 honda civic 2 door with

1x Pioneer DEHP4700MP head unit

2x front 6.5" $50 pioneer speakers from 05'

2x rear JBL GTO938 6 x 9 new

1x Kenwood Kac-8405 amp new

I've got it hooked up with knukonceptz 4ga cable and have done 2 out of the big 3 (haven't done alternator).

I'm not happy with the sound quality, and am almost certain (but open to suggestions) it is because of the front speakers. They aren't even running off the amp, and are a mediocre pair of coaxial pioneers from 05'

If I'm not mistaken, the best thing I can do for my setup is to add some components in the front and run them off my amp, along with my rears.

My questions are, what is a good $100 pair of component speakers, and what would be the ideal location to mount the tweeter?

I assume I would mount my woofer at the bottom (where the coaxials currently are) but am unsure of the "ideal" location for the tweeters.

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/299/img0668gf.jpg

I'm thinking about purchasing one of these...

Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB6501 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component System (Pair, Silver): Car Electronics

Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 6030cs 6.5-Inch 270-Watt Two-Way Component System: Car Electronics

thanks!
you can improve midbass by deadening and sealing them in your doors. The more sound deadening material throughout the vehicle you use, the better. This will reduce the ambient noise level (noise floor) in the car, therefore increasing the sound quality and effectiveness of the system. The tweeter location that usually works best is on the window pillar about neck high. or in pods on the dash by the window pillars, with the tweeter facing you (on axis). Each tweeter has it's own sound characteristic...some sound bright, some sound too flat. This is important for what will sound best to you. You can guestimate the sound characteristic by the diaphragm material used. IMO, softer materials - softer sound, hard materials - brighter sound. I might like a titanium dome, you might prefer a silk fabric dome. Same for mid drivers, you might have aluminum cones that sound completely different from paper. I might prefer the sound of paper, you might prefer the aluminum.

As far as power, you want the power to your front speakers and less, if any to the rear to allow the system to sound as if you are at a concert with the (front)stage out there in front of you.

Some extremely effective work here:

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

yep, it's all in the time and effort you spend making the car sound less like a tin can and more like an engineered enclosure system. the links above give you an idea that a good sounding system is 90% install and 10% equipment (but that last 10% is the difference between good and great).

i have liked the Infinity Reference (for the money) compared to other brands in it's price range. But don't rule out used - check the classifieds to let your dollar go much further.

tweeters up in dash corners is a popular location for those cars. gets the sound coming from above the dash and not the floor.

this is a good example of how a little bit of effort can go a long way:

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/550533-cdts.html

Setting up speakers can be tricky ,are the current speakers blown or suffering some overpowering effects? and what levels are they sounding bad ? heres a quick thought how often do you use you car ? daily work car? try disconnecting all your sound, example remove your headunit then drive it like that for a week or so no sound(assuming you speakers aren't blown and still working 99%just as they were 5+ years ago, im doubting)then see what youd like to do after having no sounds for a week.

sometimes people just get use to what they have. If your suffering from somq sq though you have to be careful , looks like you have little to no experience and you could end up doing worst the what you have now.

Thanks for all the replies!

I ran some wire from my amp to each door and it's already sounding A LOT better. I'm amazed at the difference!

I am also going to be deadening the doors today or tomorrow. I've decided to do both the inside and outside skin.

I also don't have them "sealed" against the door. They are just held with 4 screws in the metal. I will need to cut a baffle out of wood and put some deadener on it.

thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm done for the day, finished one door. I matted both the inside and outside skin but didn't get the outside nearly as well as the inside. The inside is covered with mat, there's hardly any bare metal, but for the outside I only ran some large pieces across, not really paying much attention to detail. It was difficult to get to and there were bars in the way, which didn't help. I'm just wondering if that could effect sound quality and whether or not I should go back and add more. I only went one layer thick for now, I don't know if more would yield better results but would assume so.

I'm beginning to question whether I should keep my rears, which are 6x9 mounted in the rear deck. They are decent speakers and are amped, but am thinking now that because there is so much free air and no matting in my trunk I may be better off taking them out and just using my sub. I ordered some decent components for the front (stereo imaging), are rears even necessary?

thanks!

Try some RE components. Doesn't have to be the XXX series either. Or audioque components. They are wonderful. And sound amazing for the price.

U can look at SoundQubed (formerly audio que). I run all AQ stuff and I'm killing ****.

Check me out at okcshottesthotboy on YouTube for more info

I've finished matting my doors and installed my components. I used Peel n Seal from Lowes and heated it while installing. I also went back and added more deadening to the outside skin, up to about 70% coverage. So far so good, but time will tell if it holds up.

I made a baffle out of 3/4 mdf but ran out of peel n seal so waterproofed it with duct tape and sealed it by installing some window foam on the back.

My rears are unplugged and I'm running the fronts and a sub off my 4 channel amp. The sound is terrific, approaching my home bookshelf speakers when it comes to SQ, which is what I was looking for all along.

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/8149/img0786fy.jpg

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/3884/img0793mv.jpg

I just need to find a spot to mount my crossover securely, get my door back on, and try out different tweeter locations =)

I noticed my subwoofer was only working when I set the balance all the way left or right, so did some troubleshooting and found that my noise isolator was causing it

Amazon.com: Stinger SGN20 Ground Loop Isolator: Car Electronics

I have the isolator unplugged and the sub is working, but now I'm getting a bit of noise. My battery -> chassis ground is upgraded and I've got my amp ground cable connected to a sanded piece of chassis metal in the trunk. I don't know what else could be causing the issue =/

I've finished matting my doors and installed my components. I used Peel n Seal from Lowes and heated it while installing. I also went back and added more deadening to the outside skin, up to about 70% coverage. So far so good, but time will tell if it holds up.
I made a baffle out of 3/4 mdf but ran out of peel n seal so waterproofed it with duct tape and sealed it by installing some window foam on the back.

My rears are unplugged and I'm running the fronts and a sub off my 4 channel amp. The sound is terrific, approaching my home bookshelf speakers when it comes to SQ, which is what I was looking for all along.

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/8149/img0786fy.jpg

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/3884/img0793mv.jpg

I just need to find a spot to mount my crossover securely, get my door back on, and try out different tweeter locations =)
Hate to break it to ya... But, you will likely regret the peel N seel...

I noticed my subwoofer was only working when I set the balance all the way left or right, so did some troubleshooting and found that my noise isolator was causing it
Amazon.com: Stinger SGN20 Ground Loop Isolator: Car Electronics

I have the isolator unplugged and the sub is working, but now I'm getting a bit of noise. My battery -> chassis ground is upgraded and I've got my amp ground cable connected to a sanded piece of chassis metal in the trunk. I don't know what else could be causing the issue =/
unwanted noise its generally a symptom of something that's done wrong. Usually a bad ground. ” noise isolators” are a band aid. Hook your amp(s) up to a portable music player using a RCA to headphone jack adapter, to see if it is being caused by either the hu or the RCA cables. also, did you run your RCA'S along side your power cable?

Hate to break it to ya... But, you will regret the peel N seel...
fixed*

I used some about 10 years ago just to see if it would work.

nope

it fell right off after one warm day. The rest came off piece by piece in the summer

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

glad to see the OP is fixing his issues day by day

I have absolutely no idea where the idea came from the put roofing tar in a vehicle. I commend OP for doing a little homework and doing the work in his vehicle. I have never seen roofing patch in a vehicle, but if that is what floats your boat, go for it, bud. If you are getting satisfactory result for your efforts, then that is all that really matters. Some of the best systems I have ever heard consisted of a good install and adequate power on 6 speakers(2subs/2mids/2tweeters)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...