car audio for home entertainment?

Lol reminds me when I tested a CL-bought sub on a early 90's Sony system because that's all I had on hand at the time. Thing was probably getting 40w and it was driving people nuts two office spaces over.

people dont realize that if you had a 600 watt sub fully powered in your house you would never be able to play it full tilt without being obnoxious, uncomfortable, and overall dissatisfied. home audio is a whole different world from car audio.

i couldnt turn my dayton 12 past 1/4, it has 120w or so amp in it, playing xbox at a moderate volume i even had to turn it down lower, 100w on about anything, even an 8 can get pretty annoying

The problem with HT, though, is speakers aren't as sensitive as those in CA applications. I can see the merit in wanting to cross over. I run Pioneer BS21s in my setup and I have to be dang near close to 0db on my HT amp to get dialogue to play intelligibly.

Not sure what you guys are talking about. I'm running about 2000W RMS in my living room and 3000W RMS in my family room. OP, if you want a serious sub setup in your home, you need to use pro amps. Check out Behringer EP4000. Probably the best bang for buck amp that will handle sub duty well. If you're gonna take this seriously though, you got a lot to learn. You're going to need something to bring your -10dB home audio line level to +4dB pro audio line levels, and you'll also want to do a fan conversion because the built-in fans are obnoxiously loud on those. They're designed to be played near clipping for hours on end. (Think concerts) So the fan is way more than you need in the home environment. I think you're looking at about a $500 investment to buy everything new. Probably could find all used for $300. Anyway, that should be enough to get you started. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif

people dont realize that if you had a 600 watt sub fully powered in your house you would never be able to play it full tilt without being obnoxious, uncomfortable, and overall dissatisfied. home audio is a whole different world from car audio.
It depends on where you live. Having a brick house helps too. And I don't understand how you'd be uncomfortable considering people do more than 600wrms in their cars with the subs 5 feet behind them.

Not sure what you guys are talking about. I'm running about 2000W RMS in my living room and 3000W RMS in my family room. OP, if you want a serious sub setup in your home, you need to use pro amps. Check out Behringer EP4000. Probably the best bang for buck amp that will handle sub duty well. If you're gonna take this seriously though, you got a lot to learn. You're going to need something to bring your -10dB home audio line level to +4dB pro audio line levels, and you'll also want to do a fan conversion because the built-in fans are obnoxiously loud on those. They're designed to be played near clipping for hours on end. (Think concerts) So the fan is way more than you need in the home environment. I think you're looking at about a $500 investment to buy everything new. Probably could find all used for $300. Anyway, that should be enough to get you started
I am not serious due to current living conditions. But it was an interesting question I was wondering about.

It depends on where you live. Having a brick house helps too. And I don't understand how you'd be uncomfortable considering people do more than 600wrms in their cars with the subs 5 feet behind them.

I am not serious due to current living conditions. But it was an interesting question I was wondering about.
Houses are different acoustic environments than cars, and listening to anything but action-type movies is annoying with bass IMO.

I run 3 powered subwoofer on my home theatre and I get the bass I need for the movies and music, just split the rca out from your receiver

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.