Skar audio and Sundown Audio?

sbarber82
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
So i have been doing some looking for new subs and have noticed that the sundown line and the skar line are extremely similar. Almost to a tee. So whats the deal? Do these guys just buy the same china built stuff and then slap there name on it? Even the websites are alike...I am not saying they aren't good products but whats the deal??

Buying Sundown is a better option op.You would get better cs and get what you pay for.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/imo.gif.3a57bcc70a4835dc53e86ffae1a0b041.gif

So i have been doing some looking for new subs and have noticed that the sundown line and the skar line are extremely similar. Almost to a tee. So whats the deal? Do these guys just buy the same china built stuff and then slap there name on it? Even the websites are alike...I am not saying they aren't good products but whats the deal??
Your computer haz teh aids now, man....

do NOT buy anything made by skar audio. The owner is extremely shady and dishonest and has a history of scamming people. not to mention skar's website has a trojan virus
lulz, you beat me to it.

do NOT buy anything made by skar audio. The owner is extremely shady and dishonest and has a history of scamming people. not to mention skar's website has a trojan virus
This. Even if the products were EXACTLY the same, the company is shady. Spend your money elsewhere.

This. Even if the products were EXACTLY the same, the company is shady. Spend your money elsewhere.
They are not the same but they are similar in some aspects.

Skar is mostly sweatshop made, sundown has better engineering but I'm still rather annoyed that they sold a large amount of pre order stock (sa8)to a competitor (skar) and limited the amount of actual customers that they were originally intended for and instead those pre order subs were sold at full price by skar.

They are not the same but they are similar in some aspects.
Skar is mostly sweatshop made, sundown has better engineering but I'm still rather annoyed that they sold a large amount of pre order stock (sa8)to a competitor (skar) and limited the amount of actual customers that they were originally intended for and instead those pre order subs were sold at full price by skar.
Yeah, I understand they're not the same, that's why I said "if". They aren't, but some models are fairly similar. And that was bad biz Sundown did that. Was even worse of Skar.

Selling a product to a company that is / was a dealer for a product is not bad business; many dealers pre-ordered stocks of SA-8 v.2 woofers and later sold them at the full price. This happens with every product we put on pre-sale but I imagine most dealers don't mention how / when they purchased their stock. Kevin was a dealer for our product via his 1800Woofers venture (from which we received NO complaints regarding the sale of our product) -- which I believe was since sold out to another owner.

In any event... any association we had with Skar product was on the VVX and IVX v.1 models only. Both models have been replaced (or are in the process of being replaced) and we have no association on the new products and none of our loudspeakers are made in the same factory(ies) either -- nor are they really very similar other than perhaps noting the two pictures drivers have stitched foam surrounds (a closer look would show you they have different roll profiles, the cone body is a different tool, and the dust caps are different sizes).

As far as the web-sites I imagine that Skaraudio.com uses the same site engine as we do as it's pretty popular and easy to work with; our site was made by LFTNDesign (Mark from SSA) and Skar's by "Peopels Technologies" per the note at the bottom.

PS: This idea of "slapping a name on a China woofer" really irks me... I have a huge folder full of drawings for all of our motors and FEA graphs on each one of them... not to mention the slew of parts I've tooled up and continue to tool up for our drivers over the years.

Selling a product to a company that is / was a dealer for a product is not bad business; many dealers pre-ordered stocks of SA-8 v.2 woofers and later sold them at the full price. This happens with every product we put on pre-sale but I imagine most dealers don't mention how / when they purchased their stock. Kevin was a dealer for our product via his 1800Woofers venture (from which we received NO complaints regarding the sale of our product) -- which I believe was since sold out to another owner.
In any event... any association we had with Skar product was on the VVX and IVX v.1 models only. Both models have been replaced (or are in the process of being replaced) and we have no association on the new products and none of our loudspeakers are made in the same factory(ies) either -- nor are they really very similar other than perhaps noting the two pictures drivers have stitched foam surrounds (a closer look would show you they have different roll profiles, the cone body is a different tool, and the dust caps are different sizes).

As far as the web-sites I imagine that Skaraudio.com uses the same site engine as we do as it's pretty popular and easy to work with; our site was made by LFTNDesign (Mark from SSA) and Skar's by "Peopels Technologies" per the note at the bottom.

PS: This idea of "slapping a name on a China woofer" really irks me... I have a huge folder full of drawings for all of our motors and FEA graphs on each one of them... not to mention the slew of parts I've tooled up and continue to tool up for our drivers over the years.
Don't fret it man, some people just dont realize how much you and your collegues put into your products. A simple look through your vendor section shows a lot.

Slapping a name on a china woofer is not what I meant. I understand having a product made in china after a lot of r&d here in the states. I am not saying the craftsmanship isn't good or that you just picked one out of a row and said put my name on it. I extremely respect the fact that you are so into your products and do lots of creative tooling at your shop here in the state. I am a big fan of sundown and that is why I am building my system around your products. I did not mean any disrespect and I apologize for the way it came off, please forgive me.

I more or less figured your designs were being stolen or sold to the other companies through the china manufacturer. I have done business overseas and know it is hard to protect your work when they (china) are not always looking out for your best interest.

Trojan viruses have no chance against my cpu… lol

Slapping a name on a china woofer is not what I meant. I understand having a product made in china after a lot of r&d here in the states. I am not saying the craftsmanship isn't good or that you just picked one out of a row and said put my name on it. I extremely respect the fact that you are so into your products and do lots of creative tooling at your shop here in the state. I am a big fan of sundown and that is why I am building my system around your products. I did not mean any disrespect and I apologize for the way it came off, please forgive me.
I more or less figured your designs were being stolen or sold to the other companies through the china manufacturer. I have done business overseas and know it is hard to protect your work when they (china) are not always looking out for your best interest.
Thanks for the clarification.

We have had some issues with our designs being sold around; that is (for the most part) taken care of these days. It is part of the business anymore, though, so we just have to keep improving //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.