Car Alarm problem---I guess I'm screwed?

Participant count
  • Participant list

slowfive0
10+ year member

Bought a 1989 mustang with a car alarm. Pretty basic alarm---unlocks/locks doors, flashes park lights, shock sensor & siren. No markings on the brain what so ever. Stupid remote has no markings either. Worked fine for a few weeks. Push button and doors lock---1 beep. Push it again and doors unlock----2 beeps. I opened a door while armed and the siren went off like you would expect.

Fast forward to now---put a boost and fuel pressure gauge in the car (didn't disturb the alarm or at least didn't think I did) and now alarm doesn't want to work properly. Was beeping 3 times when I armed it and 4 times when I disarmed it. Dome light would stay on. Tried disconnecting battery multiple times and messing around with it (checking connections, wires, etc for problems too) with really no change. Today, I went out and tried it again (battery was disconnected for a day or two). This time I got one beep on arming and then 4 beeps on disarm. Then back to 3 beeps on arm and 4 beeps on disarm.

WTH! I have no info on this and have no idea how to go about diagnosing it.

HELP!!!!! Thank you.

Double check all of the inputs for the alarm. Door triggers, hood pin if applicable, etc. If there is a dome override make sure it wasn't bumped on, or that may make the alarm think that a door is open all of the time. For example, Code alarm systems will chirp four times instead of two during the arming sequence if a door is open. 1988-89 Ford Mustang Alarm, Remote Starter, Keyless Entry Wiring Information There's a quick guide, I would meter the Black/light blue courtesy light/door trigger wire.

Thank u for reply. Was 2 seconds away from pulling and throwing system away. Ended up finding pin switch for hatch unseated and cocked over to side keeping dome light on and causing alarm inop condition. Thanks again!

Take it to the expert who know more about it as compare you...

Some time alarm system making unknown problem with out any reason, in this situation you are unable to make it corrects.

Not sure i understand ur comment. The car is fixed now. Dome light switch on hatch out back was popped out and keeping light on. I had not opened the hatch in some time and problem started after that. I did ck the door switches with ohm meter (wires disconnected) And switches were fine. Turns out my son had went into hatch and slammed it hard to close it. I didnt notice dome light on at cirst as i was checking the car out during the day and door open. Live and Learn. It's fixed and that's what matters. Thx for the help guys.

I did talk to my audio place that I buy my audio equip from and they didn't know. Said my system was ancient and quoted me on new system.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.