cap finally installed

Participant count
  • Participant list

bronco2323
10+ year member

house
well today i installed my cap. took 2 hours but i got it done.thanx for all your help and suggestions.i do notice a pretty good difference on my voltage meter so i know it worked.the sound is a little better now to.ill prolly be looking for a bigger alt soon and prolly a new battery.

yeah. A cap is just a band-aid for an ailing charging system.

My system is running over 1500watts and I have never used a cap. By reading different car audio sources, people in general say a cap for every 500 watts is needed. They are wrong. If your carging system is up to snuff you don't even need 1 cap.

What a cap does is when the voltage in the system drops below the voltage of the cap, the cap supplies the extra power to keep the system voltage up. Now if the systems Alternator were powerful enough, why would the voltage drop?

I read in your sig and you are running the jbl "beast" bp 1200.1 and only a 1.0 cap I would suggest a 1.5 cap and you could get your alt wound instead of replacing it getting it wound helps greatly.

well generally its only a one farad cap per 1000 watts....1.5 would be a bit of overkill....but im w/ steven here generaly .....i would prefer to upgrade my charging system before getting a cap.....but who knows what'll happen when i finally get all my stuff..peace

yea sorry I meant a 1.2 cap I know power acoustic makes one for sure, but also charging system is great, but you will never get the bass output you get with the cap.....

I understand that, but your amp will get surges of power from the cap even though your charging system is total upgraded so the cap will always add some type of power no matter the charging system correct? Therefor your amp will see more power after a cap....making your bass deeper, but maybe not much?

Originally posted by Jeremy jl fan I understand that, but your amp will get surges of power from the cap even though your charging system is total upgraded so the cap will always add some type of power no matter the charging system correct? Therefor your amp will see more power after a cap....making your bass deeper, but maybe not much?

well assuming you dont have any problems w/ your amp drawing enough power to cause a drop in voltage.....a cap wont really do anything.....there def. wouldnt be any noticable diff.

ok again thanks for clearing that up I just thought your amp would always see more power with a cap making it perform just a little better even if its just 1% I use a cap, but its my preferance.....

having a cap is similar to having a batt on a car while its running....only needed when the voltage drops below 12volts....a cap provides power only when the cars voltage drops below a certain level.....so if the voltage stays constant....there would be no need for the cap.....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.