Can someone model a pair of TC-1000 15's for me?

mat3833

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Mar 12, 2008
florida
My computer is at the repair depot getting a new screen at the moment and I need to figure out mechanical limits so I don't hurt anything.

Can anyone model a pair of these in 14 cubic feet and let me know at what point they hit mechanical limits and at what power level/frequency? I don't have a subsonic filter(taramps Smart 3) so I may get a DSP if I need to so I can keep them safe.

Here are the specs on the drivers:

Qts 0.346
Qes 0.381
Qms 3.82
Fs 15.6Hz
Res 3.66Ω
Ls 2.64mH
Lp 3.58mH
Rp 3.16Ω
Dia 320mm
Vas 393l
mms 238g
cms 433um/N
bl 15.0T*m
Spl 87.8dB

They are D4 wired to 8 ohms individual and 4 ohms at the amp.

Thanks fellas

Matt

mat3833

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Mar 12, 2008
florida
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What's your Rms (suspension t/s not wattage)?
It's for an infinite baffle setup in my jetta. I don't have the RMS spec, it's not listed on the PDF I have from TC sounds.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
That Cms is really high too. These seem like softer big box woofers. More like home audio woofers. If you do these in 14 cubes, I think it's gonna sound really boomy. Like your group delay in 14 cubes will probably be MASSIVE.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
It's for an infinite baffle setup in my jetta. I don't have the RMS spec, it's not listed on the PDF I have from TC sounds.
If it's IB, then there's no point in modeling it. Is it true IB or are you running a sealed off trunk?

mat3833

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Mar 12, 2008
florida
The PDF says 24mm BL xmax and 37mm Xmech, one way for both specs.

mat3833

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Mar 12, 2008
florida
If it's IB, then there's no point in modeling it. Is it true IB or are you running a sealed off trunk?
Sealed off trunk for the time being. That's the 14 cubes volume.

As of right this second that are in the car and playing already. I had to dial back the 60hz range a little, but they are sounding very nice and can do hair tricks on some low songs.

mat3833

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Mar 12, 2008
florida
That's the way you gotta do it I think. Modeling it won't change the way it plays in reality.
I just want to get a rough idea on when they start leaving their BL xmax. This isn't super scientific, but I don't know of a way to measure excursion in real time.

Reactions: Buck

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
I just want to get a rough idea on when they start leaving their BL xmax. This isn't super scientific, but I don't know of a way to measure excursion in real time.
I think you gotta do it with your ears. You'll hear when they start not sounding right.

mat3833

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Mar 12, 2008
florida
I think you gotta do it with your ears. You'll hear when they start not sounding right.
Due to some unforseen circumstances, it's a bit difficult to hear anything mechanical from the subs. Things are flexing alot more than anticipated, even with some added reinforcement to flimsy sections of metal.

By the eye it looks like I'm still well within 2 inches of peak to peak what do you think?

Here's a quick slowmo video and a regular video.

Please excuse the messy cargo area. Had to bring some stuff from work so I can add more bracing to the rear deck.

Matt

mat3833

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Mar 12, 2008
florida
They are moving pretty good there man. Be careful with that power
Now you see why I'm a little worried? Granted that song dips into the 20s I beleive.

Someone needs to make an excursion measurement device...

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
Now you see why I'm a little worried? Granted that song dips into the 20s I beleive.

Someone needs to make an excursion measurement device...
There's only so much power any woofer will take with that large of an airspace. You could make another wall behind the subs and cut that airspace down a bit and probably gain mechanical power handling, but you might lose that easy low end resonance. Those Fs of those subs is 15.6 hz or whatever, so the lower you play, the more they're gonna move, more than likely, generally speaking.

mat3833

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Mar 12, 2008
florida
There's only so much power any woofer will take with that large of an airspace. You could make another wall behind the subs and cut that airspace down a bit and probably gain mechanical power handling, but you might lose that easy low end resonance. Those Fs of those subs is 15.6 hz or whatever, so the lower you play, the more they're gonna move, more than likely, generally speaking.
The whole idea of infinite baffle is low power, high efficiency, low extension, clean bass. This is now my 3rd "infinite baffle" setup, but my last woofers were JBL W15's and their coil design prevented them from being driven into mechanical failures.

These TC woofers sound amazing, I don't normally crank the volume and play Killshot. Hell, my sub level usually sits around -6, but I set my gains using a -3db tone at 0 sub level with the car on and at my max listening volume for my front stage. I just want to make sure that I set my gains at a safe mechanical point for when I want to play songs that are low and loud. I absolutely do not want to hurt these subs.

As far as power handling, I didn't pull my meter out to check what power they are getting on music yet, but the motors and cones are barely even warm to the touch even after a 30 minute drive to work in this central Florida heat. I have 3k on tap, so I'm definitely being careful.

Matt

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
The whole idea of infinite baffle is low power, high efficiency, low extension, clean bass. This is now my 3rd "infinite baffle" setup, but my last woofers were JBL W15's and their coil design prevented them from being driven into mechanical failures.

These TC woofers sound amazing, I don't normally crank the volume and play Killshot. Hell, my sub level usually sits around -6, but I set my gains using a -3db tone at 0 sub level with the car on and at my max listening volume for my front stage. I just want to make sure that I set my gains at a safe mechanical point for when I want to play songs that are low and loud. I absolutely do not want to hurt these subs.

As far as power handling, I didn't pull my meter out to check what power they are getting on music yet, but the motors and cones are barely even warm to the touch even after a 30 minute drive to work in this central Florida heat. I have 3k on tap, so I'm definitely being careful.

Matt
I'm in Fl too man. I know about the heat LOL. Oh man, do I know about the heat.

Woofers like Sundown's X and Z series would be really good here, with their like 50mm+ of xmech. Your volume (spl) in IB style setups is determined largely by Vd, where Vd = Sd * Xmax, since you aren't pressurizing a port, all the sound comes from the subs' movement.

mat3833

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Mar 12, 2008
florida
I'm in Fl too man. I know about the heat LOL. Oh man, do I know about the heat.

Woofers like Sundown's X and Z series would be really good here, with their like 50mm+ of xmech. Your volume (spl) in IB style setups is determined largely by Vd, where Vd = Sd * Xmax, since you aren't pressurizing a port, all the sound comes from the subs' movement.

Beleive me, I have a neo Beehive motor sitting in my closet. If I could find a mate and a pair of matching coils for them I would build a pair of nasty 18s. I'm not really sure my car can handle that much pressure tho, and I like keeping my hearing mostly un-damaged. These 1ks sound awesome and that was my main goal, a substage that can get loud and low, but can also blend in and be super tight and accurate.

Reactions: Buck

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
FL
Beleive me, I have a neo Beehive motor sitting in my closet. If I could find a mate and a pair of matching coils for them I would build a pair of nasty 18s. I'm not really sure my car can handle that much pressure tho, and I like keeping my hearing mostly un-damaged. These 1ks sound awesome and that was my main goal, a substage that can get loud and low, but can also blend in and be super tight and accurate.
I'm not gonna lie, like I have 2007 4 door 328i and I've been thinking about the same type thing you have going on. I have a little 500 AI amp and I still have one of my eD 9.1's, and a 9.2x, which is a beast 2 channel. Ugh, once I start, the BMW will turn into an armored car. Idk if I can even fantasize about a system in that car lol. I may just use to test horns.....that'll be my excuse

mat3833

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Mar 12, 2008
florida
I'm not gonna lie, like I have 2007 4 door 328i and I've been thinking about the same type thing you have going on. I have a little 500 AI amp and I still have one of my eD 9.1's, and a 9.2x, which is a beast 2 channel. Ugh, once I start, the BMW will turn into an armored car. Idk if I can even fantasize about a system in that car lol. I may just use to test horns.....that'll be my excuse
Mine looks like shit right now, but V2 will have all the trim and covers back in place and a nice cover for the subs. It's going to look stealthy. I'm going to shoot you a PM.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds