Port firing off carpet or hard surface difference..

Participant count
  • Participant list

Ridinhi
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Will it make a difference if a port is firing off a carpet surface verses a hard surface?
Got some bucket seats for my single cab truck and I will be building an enclosure to go between the seats. I’m thinking subs up/port firing to back wall. Back wall is carpet. Not sure if I will need to mount a hard surface for port to fire off of.

Cool, thanks.....one more question. I will be running a trio of Massive Audio Summo 6.5’s with 1200 watts. I’m thinking 1.6@34hz. Will a 3” aero port work fine?

No way, a 3 inch is way too small for that level of power. I would use a single 6 inch. 2 4s would be acceptable as well but a single port is always going to be the best choice.

A single 3 would be ok for a single 6.5 but not 3, esp with 1200 watts.

Maybe @shredder2 could run the port velocity #s with a single 4 but I think that will still give you compression with the level of power you are using.

This is one of those times when you need a big aeroport and it makes it hard to incorporate into the build.

No way, a 3 inch is way too small for that level of power. I would use a single 6 inch. 2 4s would be acceptable as well but a single port is always going to be the best choice.

A single 3 would be ok for a single 6.5 but not 3, esp with 1200 watts.

Maybe @shredder2 could run the port velocity #s with a single 4 but I think that will still give you compression with the level of power you are using.

This is one of those times when you need a big aeroport and it makes it hard to incorporate into the build.

Those 6.5s are just under the cone area of a single 12. I use a 4 inch aero for single 12s up to around 600w.

I would run port velocity #s first but its looking like you'll need at minimum a single 4. I'm guessing it will be tuned around 40hz so port noise shouldn't be much of a problem but you want to watch compression, that's going to be the limiting factor with your port size.

It's more about panel flex. I'd try to stick the port in a corner, like I did with that SSA ICON 12 box for @Clifff150

There are pressure stages within a vehicle. Forcing higher pressure at the port opening tends to make higher pressure in the box. So port placement is very important. Doing subs in the absolute center of the vehicle can make the sub unload quickly, because there's not much pressure outside of the port.

There's pressure "hot spots" in your vehicle. You have zones that pressurize more than other parts. This largely depends on your system's orientation. But if you plan to make your own pressure hot spots with the design, it's usually both louder and you have a better bandwidth away from tuning, because the sub doesn't unload as quickly, everything stays pressurized for longer (more hz).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...