can someone check my measurements please

Participant count
  • Participant list

mat3833
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
florida
ok, so i just finnished my box measurements and laid them out on the wood to be cut. and since its dark i decided to model it in Sketchup because im bored. long story short, i think im a retard.... my box dimensions are 20X15x10.5. the sub going in it is SPLaudios prototype 8(SA-8 basket basicly, gives you a size refrence). now im using a 3' aero(internal diameter, .25" wall thickness, outside Diameter is 3.5" that is 14" long(not including possible flare). the problem im running into is the "keep your port a port width away from all walls" rule. box layout is in the pics below.

with the current "sub centered and at the bottom, port centered at the top" settup i dont think i will have clearance for the port to fit.

can i just shift the sub to one side and the port to the other and be fine? of do i need to re-draw this ****?

Matt

P.S. please excuse the not to scale, drawn by a 4 year old, paint drawing....

View attachment 26539132

oh, and when i model it in sketchup the port ends up being right under the sub cutout, hence why i think im a retard.....

Matt

That sketch is legit... lol

An L-Port box is one way to get more port area while keeping a relatively small box. Standard round/square port boxes have to take into account the tube itself + the limited area you can devote to a tube/hole in your box. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

L-port box calc: RE AUDIO - Box Calculator

****... so i cant just shift the sub to one side and the port to the other? ill have to make the box a fair bit larger to get 32hz with a slot port. plus it will have to be a 1" X 9" slot and thats not very optimal. im going to try and fudge the dimensions some more.

hell i may end up just making part of the port external since im tired of designing boxes. lol

Matt

oh, what would optimal port orientation be in a situation like this? id like it to be sub upfire and port sidefire of sub frontfire port sidefire.

Matt

ok, so i made a cardboard box and laid out the port and sub. the following pictures show the 2 ways i can lay it out. there is technicly a 3rd, but that involves sub front/port side. the sub just moves from the top to the side opposite the port tube centered.

View attachment 26539195View attachment 26539196View attachment 26539197View attachment 26539198View attachment 26539199View attachment 26539200

you guys think the offset port/sub will be good enough? or do i really have to re-design and re-lay out the box? and they arent exactly to scale, but they are a fairly accurate representation.

with the sub and port centered the port is ~2" below the sub and the mouth ends up almost at the pole vent.

with the offset there is no overlap. the port is a port width off the side of the box and 4" from the bottom of the box.

Matt

PS @double 07 ; last time on the call out double. lol

sweet, now i just need to come up with a flare for each end of it. might use a round over bit on the outside to give it a bit of a flare. inside im not sure yet.

Matt

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.