CAN I OVERCOME THE CLIPPING

Participant count
  • Participant list

cuddy8888

CarAudio.com Newbie
Just finished installing a full system in my 2017 F150 (had the factory Sony package).

Stock factory 8 inch radio
Rockford Fosgate DSR1 to by pass factory amp (4 gauge power wire and ground wire direct from the battery)
Rockford Fosgate T1000X5ad amp
Kenwood Excelon XR-1801P 7" Component System up front
Kenwood Excelon XR-1701 6-1/2" 2-Way Speakers in the rear
Rockford Fosgate T1S-1X10 Power Single 10” T1 Slim Sealed Loaded Enclosure

I know clipping will occur at a point in systems, but I know these Kenwood speakers can get louder. Why am I experiencing clipping before these speakers reach their loudest? I used a 1Khz (-5DB) test tone to set the gain on the front and rear channels.
Is it the stock head unit? Is the amp just not pushing enough power to the speakers? Sub sounds great and is pushing as hard as I expect it to, just the front and rear channels are the issue.
Thanks for any help or advice.

Check the full range channels to see if you are getting 17 ac volts out of each. That is ~100 Watts. If you are, then I assume the issue is the 87 decibels sensitivity of the Kenwoods. An ideal specification is 90 db and above.
Measured in at 18.3 volts per channel so it’s definitely getting the wattage as advertised by the amp per channel. Would bridging the 4 Channel to 2 Channel help any just on the front stage? Those speakers can definitely handle 200 watts.

Would bridging the 4 Channel to 2 Channel help any just on the front stage? Those speakers can definitely handle 200 watts.
I would assume 4 speakers on less power would be louder than 2 on more power. Then again, only by trying it out you will know.
Caveat emptor, the speakers can handle 130 watts RMS, anything above may shorten the life or come out as distortion.

I think he is basing it off the clip indicator in the remote bass knob.
Basing it off the clipping indicator on the amp playing a 1Khz at 0DB test tone. Speakers are loud for sure but sound nothing like I have heard them before. Beginning to think Kenwoods weren’t the right speaker to go with this amp. May look into switching them for some Rockford’s

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...