Sundown SFB 3000D Clipping

So is there even any point to rebassed music? And for all these regular clipped songs, is than enough to damage anything before the clip light on the amp presents?
I'm talking specifically Asian amps which tend to be sturdier than the Brazilian amps. Quality (Asian) amps can take a bit of clipping. Years ago there was a popular guy in car audio (Totoro/Eric Chan) that recommended clipping and even offered a audio file with clipped signal to assist setting the amp with clipping. That was a long time ago and power wasn't as cheap and dynamic compression wasn't as popular and clipping the original track wasn't a common practice.

If you're going to play rebassed music (which I'm unfamiliar with), I'd set my amp not clip with a 0db sine wave and keep in mind you can fry coils if you aren't careful with your volume knob, boost settings, etc. If you play a bass heavy track full tilt, you're probably going to be okay, you play bass heavy tracks full tilt for 2 hours straight and you're probably going to fry a coil. I assume you have a ported enclosure, if not you might consider porting as a way to pick up some free bass. If you're looking for maximum bass impact I'd tune in the 35-40hz range as long as you have a SSF that can go that high. Hopefully the sub has a healthy amount of xmech if you're going to tune high. 35hz is common middle ground to tune at. Maybe you just need a bigger or more powerful sub to satisfy your hunger for bass. You could try a 6th order bandpass, although I'm not a fan of the way they sound and the margins for error get really tight with a 6th order.

Personally, I don't get rebassed music. Most car audio systems are 6-12db louder on the substage (vs the front stage). Now you're taking a bass heavy track and adding yet another 3-6db of bass.

It's not a lot different than playing tech master peb, dj magic Mike, bass 305, etc back in the day...don't play that stuff nonstop and know the limits of your gear and you can enjoy it...
I had some bass tracks like that on some of my test CDs (I think it was Bass Meckanic). Yeah it was an arseload of bass, but I like "music." I've always designed my systems with substages that "disappeared" until some bass heavy track played. I also stick with sealed enclosures which aren't the best for booming bass.

Hey Jimi77

Wow I hadn't thought of that guy in years until today, and wanted to see what I could find on him and his social presence these days. Totoro was always so mysterious and perfectly minimalist. I remembered he had a sample track disk as well. Might you have that disk somewhere or access to files available for download? There was a track on there alongside the Pink Panther title track, that was amazing and has been a distant memory for me over a decade old.... It was a young lady singing about an insect, or being an insect.. The lyrics were wispy and airy and the crescendo was heavy and loud. I really need to find this track and hear it again before I die. Think you could help track it down??

btw I was probably known as
stuart9682
MountainsTew

back then

Last edited:
Hey Jimi77

Wow I hadn't thought of that guy in years until today, and wanted to see what I could find on him and his social presence these days. Totoro was always so mysterious and perfectly minimalist. I remembered he had a sample track disk as well. Might you have that disk somewhere or access to files available for download? There was a track on there alongside the Pink Panther title track, that was amazing and has been a distant memory for me over a decade old.... It was a young lady singing about an insect, or being an insect.. The lyrics were wispy and airy and the crescendo was heavy and loud. I really need to find this track and hear it again before I die. Think you could help track it down??

btw I was probably known as
stuart9682
MountainsTew

back then

No I don't have any of his tracks.

I understand what you're saying - I used to repair amps and I'm pretty sure clipping indicator work just as you described. If the OP set his gain with an unclipped 0db sinewave and then plays a song with clipped bass notes, that could very well could cause output voltage to exceed the clipping limit.
Even a basic TL072 will do this function just fine. LoL. The joys of comparators!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...