Sundown SFB 3000D Clipping

What is your AC voltage on the output terminals when the clip amp begins to flicker? What is the voltage when it lights up steady?
I haven't tested any of that yet. I just set it to where I felt the sub was comfortable. I didn't expect a 3k watt rms amp to struggle with anything I could put out on a 1500w sub

Keep in mind your HU could be clipping. Music is also recorded with a clipped signals. If you're streaming the music, there 2 opportunities for somebody to clip the signal.

I haven't tested any of that
Until you do, you have no clue what voltage your amp is trying to make when the warning light comes on/
your HU could be clipping.
It could be, but the """clipping""" light on an amplifier has no way of detecting this. Even an extremely sophisticated circuit you could build into a functioning amp would only compare the input waveform to the output one and then react when the output was outside of some set tolerance. A sensor which somehow told you when you didn't have a clean looking waveform would be on constantly at any power level whenever you played any sort of music using overdrive or similar effects.

I'm relatively certain that all of these "clipping" indicators is current and/or voltage sensing set to whatever point the manufacturer decides is safe operating limit of their amplifier.

Last edited:
Until you do, you have no clue what voltage your amp is trying to make when the warning light comes on/

It could be, but the """clipping""" light on an amplifier has no way of detecting this. Even an extremely sophisticated circuit you could build into a functioning amp would only compare the input waveform to the output one and then react when the output was outside of some set tolerance. A sensor which somehow told you when you didn't have a clean looking waveform would be on constantly at any power level whenever you played any sort of music using overdrive or similar effects.

I'm relatively certain that all of these "clipping" indicators is current and/or voltage sensing set to whatever point the manufacturer decides is safe operating limit of their amplifier.

I understand what you're saying - I used to repair amps and I'm pretty sure clipping indicator work just as you described. If the OP set his gain with an unclipped 0db sinewave and then plays a song with clipped bass notes, that could very well could cause output voltage to exceed the clipping limit.

I understand what you're saying - I used to repair amps and I'm pretty sure clipping indicator work just as you described. If the OP set his gain with an unclipped 0db sinewave and then plays a song with clipped bass notes, that could very well could cause output voltage to exceed the clipping limit.
I used test tones in dj russticals app. Also, most of my bass heavy music I'm playing is from his app. I would hope all his stuff is clean but idk.

where does one find clean rebassed music when one of the biggest names out there isn't even clean.
I'm not gonna lie and say I'm in the know...I'm not really into the scene...I've got about 20 or 30 songs I play occasionally but it's always at lower volume...I set my amp with a 0db tone...but those rebassed songs have the lower frequency bumped up so if they enhanced it a +6db its gonna clip...

I used test tones in dj russticals app. Also, most of my bass heavy music I'm playing is from his app. I would hope all his stuff is clean but idk.
I've heard (and seen via o'scope) clipped bass recorded into all sorts of pop music - J'Lo, Eminem, Incognito, Sheryl Crow. It's a very common practice.

You can't. If I take xyz song and jack up the bass, then you're going to get some clipping. No different than if you played that same song your system and jacked up the bass frequencies on the EQEQ
So is there even any point to rebassed music? And for all these regular clipped songs, is than enough to damage anything before the clip light on the amp presents?

It's not a lot different than playing tech master peb, dj magic Mike, bass 305, etc back in the day...don't play that stuff nonstop and know the limits of your gear and you can enjoy it...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...