Wiring 0 gauge and 4 gauge, two amps ??

jeeper2269
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
When I did my last build, I ran separate wires from the battery to each amp inside the cab. My question is, do I need to do this again with these two amps?

amp 1 = teramps 3000.1 (0 gauge)

amp 2 = us acoustics Barbara Ann (4 gauge)

I am wondering if I can get away with running a single 0 gauge wire from the battery to a power block/fuse splitter, onto the cab and under the passenger seat. This will be where I mount the Teramps (due to size) and run 0 gauge the short distance to it, then run 4 gauge back to the rear cargo area for the Barbara Ann.

or..... do I still need to run two separate wires from the battery to each amp?

thank you

Nope just run 1/0 back to a dual ANL fused distribution block then run the 1/0 off to the taramps then 4 gauge off to the barbara ann. Use a non fused block for the grounds and the same thing 1/0 to the taramps and then 4 gauge to the other one.

You need two runs of zero gauge IMO. You can run 2 runs to a distro or bus bars and then run whatever you need to your amps.

Well... sounds like we have a tie. I would really like to run a single, as it will cost less for the ofc $$$$. But, if the best way is to run two, I will.

do the amps end up getting more power, or run more efficiently this way?

just curious if there has ever been a test of both methods.

What's the total fuse rating on all of your amps combined?
Barbara Ann = 3x35
Teramps md 3000.1 =
MAXIMUM MUSIC CONSUMPTION145 A
MAXIMUM CONSUMPTION IN SINUSOIDAL SIGNAL290 A

So, I’m not exactly sure what the total is on the teramps. I don’t see any external fuses. I will have to look when I get home from work. It would make a little sense that it is 290, however, I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to that. If this is correct, then it would be 395 total.

****it also looks like the teramps only calls for a 4 gauge wire. Which is surprising to me. I think I was told to use 0 gauge years ago for that much power.

Last edited:
$85
After looking at the 0 gauge wire I used before, I realized it was not ofc.

Attachments

• 6DF2D75F-53AE-4C3C-BBBB-658FE4550237.png
    6DF2D75F-53AE-4C3C-BBBB-658FE4550237.png
    339.9 KB · Views: 144
So the point is, you need your wire to be as much amperage or more than your amps total fusing. So you need two runs of zero gauge, or 1 run of zero and 1 run of 4 gauge, that might work. I'd do 2 runs of zero and call it a day, for the power.

My opinion is, let's say, full tilt, you do need almost 400 amps of power. You won't, but me, I like to prepare for the worst so you don't get surprised.
Good, oversized 1/0 OFC car audio cable is usually rated around 350 amps. If you're using welding cable, that's not oversized and 1/0 is usually rated around 300 amps. I don't know exactly what cable your using.
To feed those amps almost 400 amps, you'd either need to run 1 1/0 and 1 4 awg.... or you might be able to get away with 1 run of 2/0 car audio OFC (400 amps).
If it was me, I'd lean on the side of caution and just run the 2 separate wires (1/0 and the 4 awg). It's only 2 wires and if you have any power issues, you know it won't be the 2 runs to the amps.
That's just my opinion

Technically 2 runs is correct but for actual practical purposes you should easily get by with 1 run for a daily setup, especially since most people who buy Taramps buy them because there cheap not because there trying to squeeze every single watt out of them possible

Agreed technically 2 runs is correct. Shouldn't be a reason why you can't run a 1/0 welding cable to that anl block then use that block to run 1/0 to the taramps and then 4 gauge to the barbara ann. This is CCI Royal Execelene Welding Cable and they claim up to 50 feet you will see 350 amps out of their welding cable. No way you are doing anything close to that long of a run. On a jeep what 10-15 feet?

My opinion is, let's say, full tilt, you do need almost 400 amps of power. You won't, but me, I like to prepare for the worst so you don't get surprised.
Good, oversized 1/0 OFC car audio cable is usually rated around 350 amps. If you're using welding cable, that's not oversized and 1/0 is usually rated around 300 amps. I don't know exactly what cable your using.
To feed those amps almost 400 amps, you'd either need to run 1 1/0 and 1 4 awg.... or you might be able to get away with 1 run of 2/0 car audio OFC (400 amps).
If it was me, I'd lean on the side of caution and just run the 2 separate wires (1/0 and the 4 awg). It's only 2 wires and if you have any power issues, you know it won't be the 2 runs to the amps.
That's just my opinion
So the point is, you need your wire to be as much amperage or more than your amps total fusing. So you need two runs of zero gauge, or 1 run of zero and 1 run of 4 gauge, that might work. I'd do 2 runs of zero and call it a day, for the power.
That's just my opinion

since I realized the wire I currently have is not ofc, I have to order new stuff. Any suggestions on brand?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...