Can I ohm a single svc (4)ohm down to 2 ohm?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hi,

I'm new here. I was just trying to get the most out of my set-up. I have a kenwood kac7201 amp and a 12" eclipse sw6123.4 sub. The amp is 230x2 @2 ohms and 460w x 1 @ 4ohms. The reason why I'm asking if you can ohm the sub down to 2ohms is because 460 is too much. It's a 250 rms sub. And the other setting 150 x 2 at 4 ohms is too little. Butttt I have an eclipse ea2000 that does 175 watts at 4ohms. But the kenwood pounds harder at 150watts than the eclipse at 175w. Why is that? Is my set up safe?

Thanks for your help guys

its not too much. you can bridge that amp to that sub at 4 ohms and keep the gain on the amp turned down so the sub never sounds "stressed" when playing

it should hold up fine

its actually better that way. you are not asking the amp to make 100% of its power all the time.

imagine driving your car every day every where you go with your foot all the way to the floor / shifting at redline lol

its not good for amps to do that either

haha

Ok I'll try that. I have it hooked up to a computer power supply unit. Janky... I know. But when I briged it I thought I heard a pop in the sub and the system (psu) turned off. I was too scared too try to turn it back on. Do you know how to set the lpf better. Like is there something I can buy off here? I can hear voice through the sub even with the lpf on and the he set all the way down.

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

Hz set all the way down I mean

Ok cool I'll set it back up briged. I'm excited because it pounds at 150watts. I just thought 460 would be too much for a 250rms sub. Thanks for your help I know you guys know what you're talking about.

460w is too much for a 250w sub - but the gain control is ajustable so you can set it at the max level you listen to to only give off 250w or maby a tiny bit more to your sub. - but if you just crank the gain setting all the way up then yes it will be too much and you will probly burn out the sub eventually... but before this happens the sub will play and sound stressed = your warning sign

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.