Can a 1 ohm DVC memphis sub be wired to a memphis mono amp?

Participant count
  • Participant list

hotrodmom

My son and I got in an argument about subs today. He has a 1ohm DVC 10" memphis mojo (its either 800 or 1000w RMS) and is powering it with a rockford fosgate punch p700 1bd amp (700W not sure if thats RMS). Im assuming its 2ch since it has 2 speaker hookups but I am blonde lol. Anyways...I power my (1)10" mojo with my Memphis PR 500.1 (500w RMS) 1 ohm mono amp. I have voice coils wired pos pos neg neg in the box. I thought all subs were created equal when it came to ohms and it depended how they wired but I see I was wrong and right both lol. He insists his is 1ohm and mine isnt.

Could he use my mono amp to power his sub without damaging my amp or his sub? It says right on my amp that running a load lower than 1 ohm could damage my amp and will void the warranty.

Is there a way to wire it so it doesnt fry either?

At first I was thinking my amp would be better for his sub than his because its 1 ohm but now that he wants to use my amp Im not so sure lol. bridging the 2 channels gives him the full 700W right? I dont know how many ohms his amp puts out cuz there isnt a sticker on it lol but do ohms affect the sound any?

Would there be any benefits to him using my amp instead of his?

Would it increase the amount of power drawn and tax his alternator and dim his lights to the beats?

The only difference between 2 ch and mono amps is the number of speakers hook ups right?

Please help! I dont want to argue with him anymore!

Both amps listed are mono amps. The extra terminals just allow for more options for wiring.. Both amps are 1ohm stable so his is 700@1ohm an yours is 500@1ohm.. So tech his amp is more powerful. I wouldn't run either of those amps below 1ohm. Being he has dual1ohm coils he can wire at .5ohm or 2ohm. Now search each amp an see which one puts out the most at 2ohm and advise him to use that one..

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=1&I=12

This ***** because Im the one who taught him how to install it all and within a few years he knows more than me... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/blush.gif.99bc659ee2012b7d826165e26fb5eebe.gif

Which way do you wire it to make it 2 ohms? ++ -- or +-+-?

Does the fact that his is bridged have any affect on which way you wire the voice coils?

What if it was a 2 ohm amp?

Is 1 ohm amp the best choice for running sub?

What about highs n mids? I have a phoenix gold tantrum 400.1 powering my door speakers and 6x9s. I believe its 400w @ 1ohm or 100w per channel @ 1 ohm. I have one hotwire going to a splitter that supplies both amps. Is this the best way to wire it? I'd only use the pass thru (out) on the Memphis amp if I had another sub I needed to power and didnt want to split the 500w between the 2 subs right?

The phoenix gold amp has front and rear inputs and aux output. If I was using both front and rear inputs what would output be? Front, rear, both or neither? Or could I only use it with either front or back not both. I have never used the output on any amp what would I use for even? If I only had one set of RCA's with 2 amps?

What would happen if I had 1 set of RCA's coming from rear output of stereo going to mono amp powering a sub and then rcas from output of that amp to my 4 ch amp with crossover? Could I use front inputs and just not have the option to adjust between fr and r thru stereo or would this be bad? I don't want to this because my system has the perfect blend the way it is. I just want to know the answer. If I used the outputs on an amp would I have to wire the hot leads to the amps differently? And if so why?

Could you use a 1ohm amp and a 2 ohm amp together without problems?

Sorry for all the questions but I gotta know more than my son lol cuz I'm feeling pretty dumb right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.