Can I fit a 15" in 15.5" of height?

ghart999
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have a total of 17" of height in my trunk to use for a box. Would like to do a 15" sub. After 3/4" wood, I would only have 15.5" of height. Would having such a little amount of space around the driver being an issue? Thanks all.

Speaking of driver, I could use a recommendation for a 15" that can does well ported at 4cf max. Plan on giving it about 600 watts rms. Price is no more than $300.

Thanks all.

you may have to build/assemble the box inside the vehicle of you cut it that close....unless your can fold down the rear seats the depth allows you to put it in the trunk through the back doors.
Why not shoot for a 12 and build an output based enclosure. Maybe like a t-line? Just and idea

Height limited enclosures can be a challenge, my sons car had 16"h max with the width/depth he needed for 3.75ft3 net to drop into the trunk. The sub was 15.625" OD iirc so I had to change how I usually do the port, instead of "sandwich" construction we had to router out the baffle for the port exit.
YWk1CO.jpg

after all the measuring we did I was confident it would drop in there... and voila'...

15" Hippo in an Elantra, he's happy.

Assuming you have the overall space available in length and with I think it could be done. You might want to choose a 15 with a lower cutout diameter. Some are around 13.5, others are over 14.
If you built the box first (with glue) and cut the sub hole at the end you'd have the walls supporting the cutout so hopefully it would hold together. You'd need to be careful where/how you place the screws near the edge of the box.

I have a total of 17" of height in my trunk to use for a box. Would like to do a 15" sub. After 3/4" wood, I would only have 15.5" of height. Would having such a little amount of space around the driver being an issue? Thanks all.

Speaking of driver, I could use a recommendation for a 15" that can does well ported at 4cf max. Plan on giving it about 600 watts rms. Price is no more than $300.

Thanks all.

Which sub? Cut-out dimension?

Thanks all.
It would be perfect for a DD 15 ..I can design the box and have new subs in your budget ...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.