Can I add second battery like this..PIC**

Can you tell me how long his alternator lasted with the voltage regulator heating up from the stress of being forced to output higher current instead of normal voltage? alt can and do take it for a while, but you can bet your a** it will/did fail. sure you can run strictly off of the batteries but the alt will be tortured the entire time and will fail.
Think about this... a 3000w amp would pull around 222 amps, alone at 13.5v (3000 divided by 13.5v) a 250amp alt would need to provide 222 amps to the amplifier plus an additional 40 amps for the cars ignition system etc... right there you just exceeded the 250 amps that the alt puts out (mind you the alt would have to be spinning at 4000+ RPM to get the full 250 amps, it outputs far less at idle)

so the alt was bouncing between higher voltage and higher current demand, hence the destruction of its voltage regulator. Its the same concept of an amp clipping. surely you know what that is.
he had a 9a31 deka at the time as well as the 250 MM alt the MM failed trying to power a 1600 rms Gothic series amp... ( supposedly a 3kw amp but obviously not )

we put the stock alt back in and added 3 120Ah batts on top of the deka...then added the new amp that pushed just under 2800 rms at 12.8 volts...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.