HEY MODS: Can you add make people verify before posting in old posts?

Do you think they are good ideas, (If they are/were possible).

• 1 yes , 2 yes

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • 1 yes, 2 no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 no, 2 yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 no, 2 no

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
In an effort to stop wasting a lot of time reading ridiculous threads before scrolling down and seeing a baby goat drinking whiskey out of a mcdonald's cup, could you solve this issue before it happens?

1. If anyone wants to post in a thread where either the thread was started or the oldest post is more than: 1, 3, or 5 years LONG GONE, when someone hits enter to post, they should receive a popup that says; "The last post in this thread was/ This thread was started was over 5 years ago (with the date), ARE YOU SURE, you want to post this?

OR

2. Require all new members to make five different SEARCH requests before being able to comment (on a thread more than one year old). Don't post about it or make it obvious. Put it in the FAQ and let em read about it when they register, but put it at the bottom. Members then shouldn't remind them, or post about it. Any member that is going to make an effort to learn will find it. Anyone that isn't, won't.

Not sure if the coding even allows either, but I wanted to ask it.

F335E12B-73BF-4FF1-9796-AE30EEC1CAB5.jpeg

Your two ideas are mutually exclusive. Searching brings up old threads. I personally prefer people revive old threads, but there's a thirsty goat around here who strongly disagrees.

I have no problem with a old thread getting bumped if there is good info within and somebody has something to add...

Usually though it is someone bumping a 13 year old thread asking the OP if they still have a item for sale.. And the OP usually has not logged into this site for a decade..

I really couldn’t care less if people post in old threads. A lot of good info in older topics, and sometimes a reasonable similar question someone has is fine, or add useful information.

Old “for sale” threads should be locked past a certain period of time, say 3 months, and if the OP is still actively selling said item, they can hit a button that confirms still available to stop the thread from being locked.

Over the last 20 years of browsing forums, I can’t count how many times I seen people get yelled at for bumping an old thread on various forums. But get this, they would also yell at people for starting a thread similar to old threads saying the noob should have searched; can’t win with some people. Sometimes questions are similar and you don’t always need a new thread every time.

These are free, open, public forums, and we waste time browsing new threads we aren't interested in, so doesn't make much difference to me. Pretty easy to glance at the thread date and not reply to the OP when it is several years old. I can say I've been around long enough to know old threads come up and checking the date is just something to consider. I like forums still, and as dead as many of them have become, it isn't all that bad when someone new signs up to ask a silly question in an old thread, helps keep some activity, and on occasion some good info is added.

Seeing the goat is okay too, I don't mind that.

Your two ideas are mutually exclusive. Searching brings up old threads. I personally prefer people revive old threads, but there's a thirsty goat around here who strongly disagrees.
Yeah, that's why I thought of a popup. I always prefer seeing old threads revived by new people. It shows they have been searching for their answers before just blindly posting. Some people bring up threads that are silly, or there questions share a keyword but aren't really the same.

I have no problem with a old thread getting bumped if there is good info within and somebody has something to add...

Usually though it is someone bumping a 13 year old thread asking the OP if they still have a item for sale.. And the OP usually has not logged into this site for a decade..
YES. The for sale threads should be a bit more restrictive on it. The seller should have to log in monthly or bump a thread at least a week apart, and if they go dead for 3-6 months it should be locked. Maybe they wouldn't even have to bump it, but have a hidden (to everyone else) check box that they can verify it and them are still active.

I really couldn’t care less if people post in old threads. A lot of good info in older topics, and sometimes a reasonable similar question someone has is fine, or add useful information.

Old “for sale” threads should be locked past a certain period of time, say 3 months, and if the OP is still actively selling said item, they can hit a button that confirms still available to stop the thread from being locked.

Over the last 20 years of browsing forums, I can’t count how many times I seen people get yelled at for bumping an old thread on various forums. But get this, they would also yell at people for starting a thread similar to old threads saying the noob should have searched; can’t win with some people. Sometimes questions are similar and you don’t always need a new thread every time.

These are free, open, public forums, and we waste time browsing new threads we aren't interested in, so doesn't make much difference to me. Pretty easy to glance at the thread date and not reply to the OP when it is several years old. I can say I've been around long enough to know old threads come up and checking the date is just something to consider. I like forums still, and as dead as many of them have become, it isn't all that bad when someone new signs up to ask a silly question in an old thread, helps keep some activity, and on occasion some good info is added.

Seeing the goat is okay too, I don't mind that.
For sale threads definitely makes sense.

Yeah definitely, on some of the other car forums, the same thread on a different forum can get heckled by everyone if its a few years old, and completely relevant, and I've seen other threads where it's a 10+ year old thread, and the OP comes on answers it within an hour. I think "mature forums" (as in the regular posters) are a lot more welcoming to older threads being bumped if they are relevant.

Close threads older than 5 yrs?
I don't think that's it. There are some oddball threads that still make for a good revival if they aren't common. That's why I suggested a popup. Give an option, but just make sure they are aware.

This was added this year. But seems people still don't read it.

View attachment 49982
I haven't seen that, but I don't bump 2 year old threads.

It’s possible to close threads older than 5 yrs or however old, so no one can post a new reply. Since the other option didn’t seem to work at all, that may be the best alternative.

It’s possible to close threads older than 5 yrs or however old, so no one can post a new reply. Since the other option didn’t seem to work at all, that may be the best alternative.
I say leave the Funky Pup threads alive, those are funny. Maybe just eliminate those with a low response rate of less than 10. There are threads with old amp gut pics that are valuble to identify components for the repair of old amplifiers. Not long ago I searched for box specifications for Elemental Designs subs which were only found in the old forum threads. Those would be lost in the purge.
I say if someone gets the warning of posting on an old thread and still proceed, then the bombastic side eye of the whisky sipping kid should suffice to keep the forum light and entertaining.

I say just let it roll man. Some others may have new experiences with the newer vehicles that help others or a different way of making things more simplistic. Some are in hopes of finding that Unicorn of an audio piece that they have been on the search for of years without any luck. It doesnt bother me much to bring back an old thread. Its still a good read from time to time and information that one may have forgotten. I would like to see more Sticky placed such as like the 12vWire for information to be searched especially wiring diagrams for subwoofers would be nice. I like seeing that goat anyways. LOL Brings character IMHO

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...