Guys, I am at a loss(need help)

Onebadaudi
10+ year member

So im lost. I have a light dimming issue, but its different than most. searched and cant find much on it.

What im running

-10w7 with JL slash v2 500/1

-2 sets of JL components with an MTX amp

-Auxilary battery ran to the back of the trunk (Just the JL amp ties into the aux battery)

-Pioneer avh p4200 head unit

It is in an 02 Audi A4

-My battery was tested, checked out

-Alt was tested, good to go(150amps)

-my aux battery was tested, good as well.

My problem is when the higher bass notes pump through the sub my lights dim. When the lows hit through the sub, my headlights do nothing. So my headlights only dim on the Higher bass notes but do not on the lower notes. Is there anything you guys suggest doing to prevent this. I believe a HO alternator would not change anything since the lows use more power then the highs and the lights dont dim. Something seems screwy. My amps are grounded correctly, the aux battery is grounded correctly and the main battery ground looks fantastic.

Its really pissing me off

Thanks again guys

I would start at no more than 110 for an 8" and go down from there til it sounds right to you..

I x all my stuff at 80 or lower but I also have mids that will play well at 65-70 so it blends easily..

the 1 below the amp LP switch.. set the switch to 24db is my advice.

13357.jpg

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps_lineart.php?amp_id=439

try it at 80 and 24db on the switch

if it is quieter at 24db something else is fubar on the settings...also put the infrasonic filter at about 30 or turn it off... that may be a setting that is fubar and why it is quiet

the 24db setting is just how fast it cuts off the frequency you set the knob too.. at 65hz it would cut off pretty much all the higher end freq that an 8 should be playing anyway

I x all my stuff at 80 or lower but I also have mids that will play well at 65-70 so it blends easily..
good god, I sure would like to know what kind of mids your running that can play clean and loud to 65-70 hz what do you have 8"s in the doors?

to badaudi.. what are your mids crossed over at? they should be no lower then 90-100hz for 6.5"s and even higher for 5" mids. also what mtx amp are you running how many watts? It would be very helpful if you post all of your settings on your sub amp. I have a feeling it has something to do with that and your slash amps fully-regulated powersupply which is much different from most amps.

I would leave the subsonic filter on unless your running a sealed box.

The W7 is in a sealed prowedge box, The Mtx amp is not the problem. The lights do not dim when the JL amp is off. When the mtx amp is the only one running, my lights dont dim at all. Its only when the sub pushes the higher bass notes. The components run fine and there is no dimming coming from those.

Sounds like you might need a Capacitor to stop your dimming issue
come on now don't start with the capacitor crap.
audi... post your jl's amp setting, very good chance of there being an issue with them.

im willing to bet that your 150 amp alt does not do 150 at idle. probably more like 70 amps at lower rpms like all alts.

and now that I think about it.

the reason the lights don't appear to be dimming on the low notes is because the current is pulling from the battery and will just stay at a the battery's voltage. giving you constant light but just a lower output (lights would not be flickering). but on the higher notes where your amp uses less power, the alt is powering it with a higher voltage but just barely. this would give you a voltage fluctuation which causes the flickering. Im 99% certain this is the problem. I don't know if that makes sense to you, I can try to explain it better if you need me to.

good god, I sure would like to know what kind of mids your running that can play clean and loud to 65-70 hz what do you have 8"s in the doors?
Boston and Quart FTW...
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wave.gif.002382ce7d7c19757ab945cc69819de1.gif

Vtek's will also play to 60Hz..

lots of good midbass drivers will play that low easily and are meant to do it...

thats why you add a midbass and a tweet... notice I said midbass not midrange...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.