Camry Aftermarket Wiring Issues

Participant count
  • Participant list

Nick Senske

CarAudio.com Newbie
I’ve been trying to figure this out for weeks with no luck, and searching online hasn’t helped me either. 

I have a 2007 Camry LE that I recently installed aftermarket speakers in. JL Audio coax 6x9s in the back, and 6.5 component speakers in the front. Nothing sounds right from the speakers, though. 

The factory wiring for the camry has to separate pairs at each speaker, one pair for the tweeter and one for the mid-range speaker. But coming out of the head unit, there’s only one pair for each speaker. 

Hooking up my speakers to either the mid or hugh range pair, or both, gives me sub-par sound. Does anyone know anything about this, and if there’s a way for me to fix it without rewiribg the whole car?

you need to look for a factory amplifier.  possible for an external amplifier to have separate high pass tweeter outputs and low pass midrange outputs.  that isn't typically the case with the base models (i.e. LE) and usually the factory tweeters have a small cap on them providing the HPF with tweeter and woofer in parallel getting a full range signal.

hard to troubleshoot without knowing what you mean by "sub par".  did you lose high frequency response?  did you lose bass response?  how did you determine polarity?

you need to look for a factory amplifier.  possible for an external amplifier to have separate high pass tweeter outputs and low pass midrange outputs.  that isn't typically the case with the base models (i.e. LE) and usually the factory tweeters have a small cap on them providing the HPF with tweeter and woofer in parallel getting a full range signal.

hard to troubleshoot without knowing what you mean by "sub par".  did you lose high frequency response?  did you lose bass response?  how did you determine polarity?
I found polarity by using the factory positive and ground. The issue is that I’m not getting any mid range, just highs and lows

Stock HU? Strongly suggest a new one. One with many options/features to fine tune to your liking and it's acoustical environments.

Ah, so the Camry had 6x9 woofers in the doors and 3.5" full range in the dash.  You may need to sum the two channels with some factory integration - that will also push you into aftermarket amplification.

The cheaper alternative would be to put mids or coax in the factory location.   

The reason is that the door woofers got a low pass signal for midbass and the dash full-range had a high pass signal.  but you're filtering it further with the crossover (assuming you wired it that way).  It explains the loss of midrange. 

Simply put, you can't just put a component set as a direct swap. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.