Calculating Aero Port Length

The port has been adjusted.. The pic right above is from earlier this morning.. It’s turned more to the right.. Also there is no wood flexing.. Dowel was lightly tapped in pace.. 

Should I stuff it with foam?? I’ve never had boomy bass before.. 

I just modeled that JL sub in Bass Box Pro and it really isn't the best subwoofer for a ported box and is best in a sealed box. For a Qtc of 7.07, it wants a  box that is 3.86 cu ft sealed with an F3 of 37.5 Hz. You should try sealing off that port since the box you have now is close to that size and see how it sounds. You might actually like it. I modeled it ported and let the program dictate the size and it came up with a whopping 8 cu ft with an fb of 19.5. Not exactly what you need! 

I modeled the JL recommended ported enclosure and its ok but look how the 3.75 vb sealed compares to the JL ported vb 2.75.With cabin gain the sealed should sound a lot better in this instance. 

Link to picture showing ported vs sealed. https://imgur.com/a/BZZIV6G

Last edited by a moderator:
I just modeled that JL sub in Bass Box Pro and it really isn't the best subwoofer for a ported box and is best in a sealed box. For a Qtc of 7.07, it wants a  box that is 3.86 cu ft sealed with an F3 of 37.5 Hz. You should try sealing off that port since the box you have now is close to that size and see how it sounds. You might actually like it. I modeled it ported and let the program dictate the size and it came up with a whopping 8 cu ft with an fb of 19.5. Not exactly what you need! 

I modeled the JL recommended ported enclosure and its ok but look how the 3.75 vb sealed compares to the JL ported vb 2.75.With cabin gain the sealed should sound a lot better in this instance. 

Link to picture showing ported vs sealed. https://imgur.com/a/BZZIV6G
If you get a chance can you model up the 15w3v2-2? I have that somewhere in storage. Maybe I'll shove that one in there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.