Cabin gain

Participant count
  • Participant list
Enclosure and the cabin's own acoustic environment is key. Maybe run some test tones for highest/loudest Hz. value. Obviously, the smaller the cabin area, the louder it will be.

What are you wanting to do/trying to accomplish?

Enclosure and the cabin's own acoustic environment is key. Maybe run some test tones for highest/loudest Hz. value. Obviously, the smaller the cabin area, the louder it will be.
What are you wanting to do/trying to accomplish?
Well, I'm trying to find out just how much my cabin is contributing to how my sub sounds. I have a t-line built by CSCStang, and am considering changing over to a ported enclosure, so the more knowledge, the better. I have a huge cabin...Ford Excursion. Based on some reading, I know it's going to be low, but just how low is the question. And I don't know if playing tones will help with a tuned box, would it? I mean, if the box is tuned to 38Hz, the box should tend to play that tone loudest. Unless I played them with the sub outside the truck and checked volume there then compared them all to being played inside the truck?

Trumpet, that was a lot of good info! Thanks! Unfortunately, a bunch of it went above my head. lol It's amazing how in depth some folks get with this.

Is there a way, besides through expensive trial and error, to determine cabin gain for subs?
Model and build a simple .7 Q sealed box and put it in the vehicle. Meter your response and plot it on a graph. Anything above/below predicted is likely your cabin.... bear in mind that moving the box around and changing aiming will change things a bit too.

Typically you get a feel for the vehicle after building a few boxes, testing, and comparing what's on paper to what you observe.

Is there a way, besides through expensive trial and error, to determine cabin gain for subs?
the REAL WAY to plot the cabins acoustic gain and resonance is pink noise and playing tones. to do that you first need to have a flat response with no cabin AKA free air.

typically we take a driver and put it in a sealed box that gives you a dampning of .707 then plot the frequency response outside the car and then plot it inside the car. its basically a matter of building a sealed box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.