How do I set the amp gain for a subwoofer?

Check with the amp. manufacturer. Some amplifiers come with a setting procedure based on a sine wave that you can download. Otherwise, set the amplifier gain to just 30% of its maximum, and turn up the volume of the head unit. That way you take maximum advantage of the head unit pre-amplifier.

Gain is a volume knob. Set it as loud as you want it as long as your sub can handle the power and your amp doesn't clip, just like every other volume knob.

Bring it on! Prove me wrong!

Gain is a volume knob. Set it as loud as you want it as long as your sub can handle the power and your amp doesn't clip, just like every other volume knob.

Bring it on! Prove me wrong!
100% seriously, there is something wrong with you. You just make an effort to be a complete piece of ****, for no reason. As if you're only intention is to troll people trying to learn because those who know its wrong, know how wrong it is, but those who don't know, believe you are trying to help them, and you just aren't. They may not do it they way you think they should, but they are just trying to get help. Why are you even here?

those who know its wrong, know how wrong it is,
That is a different but not wrong method, I set all my systems by ear. I do not even set at 75% radio volume; I usually set at 25-35% radio volume. I like using just the 10 first digits of the volume capacity.
Other people's gear I do set by multi, but not mine. Also since OP is not sure of the OEM sub's ratings, it is best to set by ear.

Last edited:
100% seriously, there is something wrong with you. You just make an effort to be a complete piece of ****, for no reason. As if you're only intention is to troll people trying to learn because those who know its wrong, know how wrong it is, but those who don't know, believe you are trying to help them, and you just aren't. They may not do it they way you think they should, but they are just trying to get help. Why are you even here?
Haha calm down rookie. If you know it's wrong and you know how wrong it is, why can't you explain explain why it's wrong? If someone follows what i said, they won't have any problem. Sorry if i don't directly quote your catch phrases you read online and now feel compelled to repeat. Why don't you take a break from your overused talking points so you can actually learn something?

I'd love to hear why I'm wrong, but unfortunately it's easier to just call me names and feel like you won.

That is a different but not wrong method, I set all my systems by ear. I do not even set at 75% radio volume; I usually set at 25-35% radio volume. I like using just the 10 first digits of the volume capacity.
Other people's gear I do set by multi, but not mine. Also since OP is not sure of the OEM sub's ratings, it is best to set by ear.
Well.. Yes, it is wrong, and so is your method. They are both half-ass at best. Just because it kind of ends up working, doesn't mean that's the advice you should be giving.
You first need to know how high your head unit can go before it starts distorting all on its own. Then there are plenty of ways to set a gain. Even if it comes down to not buying equipment, you can certainly get closer then this if you don't want to pay $30-$50 to have a shop do it.

Haha calm down rookie. If you know it's wrong and you know how wrong it is, why can't you explain explain why it's wrong? If someone follows what i said, they won't have any problem. Sorry if i don't directly quote your catch phrases you read online and now feel compelled to repeat. Why don't you take a break from your overused talking points so you can actually learn something?

I'd love to hear why I'm wrong, but unfortunately it's easier to just call me names and feel like you won.
I comment here to mislead people
:rolleyes:

You know you are wrong. It kind of ends up that way, but that's not why. It's signal voltage not volume, and volume is from a higher voltage signal. I get it, I'm sure you get it, but they don't, and this is their thread. There's no post count quota you need to meet, but you ARE misleading them, and you know it. It's also a really half-ass answer on how to do it right. They should spend a few minutes searching, and learning. I passed on this thread the first time, and ones like this, but I'll respond to posts like yours.

Just because it kind of ends up working, doesn't mean that's the advice you should be giving.
"Kind of" is not synonymous with my results. You do not need multimeters, oscilloscopes, and RTAs to get great results. You just need logic, concentration, and patience. Especially the latter! Awesome if you learned setting with tools but most people do not have the skill, tools, or desire to acquire either for something they will seldom use. Hence the reason of advising an easy proven method that I myself use. You are correct that using tools is the most accurate way of doing it, but there is more than one way to skin a cat.

You know you are wrong. It kind of ends up that way, but that's not why. It's signal voltage not volume, and volume is from a higher voltage signal. I get it, I'm sure you get it, but they don't, and this is their thread. There's no post count quota you need to meet, but you ARE misleading them, and you know it. It's also a really half-ass answer on how to do it right. They should spend a few minutes searching, and learning. I passed on this thread the first time, and ones like this, but I'll respond to posts like yours.
Are you actually suggesting volume knobs attenuate amplifier output power rather than amplifier input signal? The fact that every single vehicle with a radio hasn't started on fire is evidence that you're wrong there. Volume attenuates input signal. Gain attenuates input signal. Want to try again?

"Kind of" is not synonymous with my results. You do not need multimeters, oscilloscopes, and RTAs to get great results. You just need logic, concentration, and patience. Especially the latter! Awesome if you learned setting with tools but most people do not have the skill, tools, or desire to acquire either for something they will seldom use. Hence the reason of advising an easy proven method that I myself use. You are correct that using tools is the most accurate way of doing it, but there is more than one way to skin a cat.
Thats one opinion. Multimeters are $20. When you calculate how much you have spent on the entire setup, which includes more than just the equipment. Even the cost of going to a shop and having them correctly set the gain, it is worth it when you compare it to how much MOST people will be losing out on, trying to do it that way.

Are you actually suggesting volume knobs attenuate amplifier output power rather than amplifier input signal? The fact that every single vehicle with a radio hasn't started on fire is evidence that you're wrong there. Volume attenuates input signal. Gain attenuates input signal. Want to try again?
Not really with you.

You do know 'attenuate' means to decrease right?

The gain is the voltage of the signal. The volume is the signal's voltage.

Last edited:
Not really with you.

You do know 'attenuate' means to decrease right?

The gain is the voltage of the signal. The volume is the signal's voltage.

To put it bluntly: you do not know enough about electricity to have a productive conversation with. Start by learning the basics. I will gladly explain anything I know to anyone who wants to learn, but not to someone who thinks they already know everything.

bcae1.com is a good place to start, unless you are too smart to learn.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...