Building the HX2...... Again lol

I did mull it over and wondered if that small grinder would be able to sand away that joint glue. Now that I saw that the cone/surround combo is only $17, I may just rip it all out. I will try it just for $hits and giggles.
You got this man! Watch EMF on youtube, he has a lot of good video's

Sometimes you can salvage a coil.

Often times that won't even come off intact. I've got a fair few HX2 dustcaps here if you guys run short.
I'm going to attempt to save this coil as it's still pretty new, if not I will buy another. And thanks for the offer bro, I may need to hit you up if I do not get it off this time lol.

One of the reasons I only use CA glue up on the triple joint is that you can sometimes reclaim them with a soak in acetone. The leads may be another issue entirely and that might get ugly before you even get to cleaning up the former.
I will try the acetone if the mini cut off wheel in the Dremel fails me. I went over the cone last time for the coil hookup so I could go under and glue it off at the coil if I have to.

Last edited:
I will try the acetone
If it's anything other than CA glue acetone probably won't help. Wet a paper towel or rag with some and just rub an area of the glue joint for half a minute and see if it starts to soften or get sticky. No sense wasting a bunch of acetone filling a mason jar halfway to try to soak this if they're using some sort of epoxy that isn't ever going to dissolve.

If it's anything other than CA glue acetone probably won't help. Wet a paper towel or rag with some and just rub an area of the glue joint for half a minute and see if it starts to soften or get sticky. No sense wasting a bunch of acetone filling a mason jar halfway to try to soak this if they're using some sort of epoxy that isn't ever going to dissolve.
I used ca on the voice coil, both joints cone and spider. I will try the acetone deal, I have a gallon of it for cleaning my linex guns lol. How long do you soak it?

I used ca on the voice coil, both joints cone and spider. I will try the acetone deal, I have a gallon of it for cleaning my linex guns lol. How long do you soak it?
I have left them overnight before but the coating on the former will get soggy and messy. Best to pull it out every hour and see, at some point it'll get sort of soft and rubbery and should come off in one go pretty easily. Also if you leave it overnight the acetone may have all evaporated and it'll be rather a sticky mess all around. If you have used only CA on it you should at least be able to get that off the coil, be gentle with the leads as you go as they are very delicate until you seat them back into a good bead of glue.

I have left them overnight before but the coating on the former will get soggy and messy. Best to pull it out every hour and see, at some point it'll get sort of soft and rubbery and should come off in one go pretty easily. Also if you leave it overnight the acetone may have all evaporated and it'll be rather a sticky mess all around. If you have used only CA on it you should at least be able to get that off the coil, be gentle with the leads as you go as they are very delicate until you seat them back into a good bead of glue.
10/4 thanks bro.

Well I decided to build the hx2 again. I'm just going to keep the motor and do a 12" 6 spoke frame, 1800rms 4" dual 2 ohm coil, 9.25" 3 layer nomex progressive spider and a big roll cone. Should be a nice sub, the HX motor is 300 oz so there is plenty of horse powers there. Will post pics, waiting on parts from Lord of Bass. Pics of the 10 I built while we wait lol.
How much would you charge to rebuild a pair of punch hx2 10s, d2 ohm?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...