Build Log for 4Nine: 2x 12's Ported (Dual Kerfed Ports)

theothermike
10+ year member

I HAVE NO LIFE, CA = LIFE
Tampa
Well i started a build for a local around me that a friend was going to take care of and he passed him off to me. Old School guy, wanted a box that would be cosmetically appealing, flat response, able to play all genres of music, from old school rap to rock, and everything in between.

Each 12" Re Se subwoofer is placed in a 2.3 ft^3 (net) chamber tuned to 29hz. The box is a top firing / port back enclosure design for a tahoe. The Dual slot ports are kerfed. Box will have angle bracing as well. Subs will be flush mounted, and the box is going to have legs to let wiring pass under it. for a huge display rack that we will be building when he comes to pick up the box. (for his amps, crossovers, distros, fuse blocks, and battery.

I believe hes running 2 x600.1 PG AMPs, and a 300.4 for his mids. which are PG RSD's.

Anyway. On to the pictures of some progress.

Design (Dimensions Ext: 47.5W x 17H (without legs and Double Baffle) x 18D) Each Port is 2.25 x 15.5"

49internal.jpg

49internalbracing.jpg

49internalbracing2.jpg

49internal2.jpg

49.jpg

Setup (Rigid Contractor Saw TS-3660 (with zero cleareance insert, Porter compressor / nailer.)

014-1.jpg

Cuts Lined Up

002-2.jpg

005-2.jpg

Lined Up. so straight. Table Saw > circular saw and sanding

004-2.jpg

003-2.jpg

Its has begun

015-1.jpg

Engineer's square for the exact 90 degrees

016-1.jpg

017-1.jpg

While this was drying i was priming the sides of the box, and inside port wall.

019-1.jpg

Black followed

021-2.jpg

022-2.jpg

While the paint was drying, assembled the backs

023-2.jpg

024-1.jpg

Masked the edges off to prepare for priming and painting

025-2.jpg

thanks for all the compliments. im not the most efficient with time. but for a self taught 18 yr old who has no experience with tools, or had no tool experience growing up, im happy with where im at.

before i got into audiowork, our familys tools consisted of screw drivers, hammer, pliers, a few wrenches, a few sockets, a drill, flashlight, and select drill bits. lol

it was a joke.

anyhow pictures are being uploaded now.

1 more of the amp rack. (first attempt at vinyl) wierd unflat surfaces so it was hard to get edges right.

012-1.jpg

Back to the box.

More bracing made for the remainder of the box angles.

004-3.jpg

Finalized version of number of kerf cuts and spacing needed in 3/4" wood to get desired effect. this is the completed (successful test piece)

005-3.jpg

The scraps of the not so successful ones

006-3.jpg

stop, break, friend came over and i built him a quick dual 12" ported enclosure tuned to 33hz with 4.5 Net for both subs.

008-3.jpg

as well as make some quick 6x9 adapters for a Camry.

010-3.jpg

011-3.jpg

Back to the box:

first front panel made and kerfs cut. then braced against the box and see the fit and finish and angle it makes

001-3.jpg

loosening it up

002-3.jpg

second front board.

slight run away on 1 of the kerf cuts. led to a 1" diagnol slice. however it didnt go through to the next kerf, nor did it impair the kerf it was a part of. so it will be filled in when bent like the rest.

014-2.jpg

015-2.jpg

and the young squire boy, apprentice, who is trying to learn the ways of thumper and bjfisher

017-2.jpg

well i used test pieces till i got a successful piece. the spacing was 3/8" and the debth was around an 1/6 of an inch left.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.