Budget System Opinions

Participant count
  • Participant list

kmb32123

I was looking at the following to drop in the back of my 97 XJ:

2x SPL Audio SP3-15 - $90 each

-1200W RMS each with dual 2 ohm voice coils

-Voice coils wired in series, speakers wired in parallel to give the amp a 2 ohm load

1x SoundStorm EV5000D - $190

-RMS power is 2500W at 2 ohm

-Comes with phase shift selector, remote sub level control, and a signal-to-noise ratio of 105db

1x xXx XCP350 3.5 Farad Digital Power Capacitor - $30

1x 15" Angled Dual Chamber Enclosure ~ $40

8 gauge speaker wires from amp to sub and 4 gauge power wires from battery to amp.

So any opinions on these products? Good? Bad? Ugly? Just looking for some reviews of these products or some insight as to what I may have overlooked.

I was looking at the following to drop in the back of my 97 XJ:
2x SPL Audio SP3-15 - $90 each

-1200W RMS each with dual 2 ohm voice coils

-Voice coils wired in series, speakers wired in parallel to give the amp a 2 ohm load

1x SoundStorm EV5000D - $190

-RMS power is 2500W at 2 ohm

-Comes with phase shift selector, remote sub level control, and a signal-to-noise ratio of 105db

1x xXx XCP350 3.5 Farad Digital Power Capacitor - $30

1x 15" Angled Dual Chamber Enclosure ~ $40

8 gauge speaker wires from amp to sub and 4 gauge power wires from battery to amp.

So any opinions on these products? Good? Bad? Ugly? Just looking for some reviews of these products or some insight as to what I may have overlooked.
Pretty much awful. Spend a few hours searching the forum and lurking a bit.

First of all caps are a waste of money at best, next a good rule of thumb is that products with a lot of flashy chrome and fins and stuff are generally low quality garbage. Fins, neon, and fancy shaped speakers/dustcaps/cones does NOT effect performance of audio equipment This is what we call "all show and no go". There are some exceptions of course, but most of the best stuff out there looks pretty plain.

I wouldn't get a capacitor. They don't do anything unless you're trying to flatten out voltage peaks. And I also wouldn't get that particular amplifier because it would have to draw enough current to blow it's fuse AND be 100% efficient as well. I can't say anything about the subs because I have no experience with them, but they look kind of cheap.

What I would get in your position:

2x Incriminator 187 15" Link

1x Audioque 1200D Link You can get them for less than 250 if you don't mind buying used.

I would also suggest building your own sub enclosure. PM Spy about a box design.

Good Luck!

How hard is it to make a thread in the correct section?
Pretty much awful. Spend a few hours searching the forum and lurking a bit.
First of all caps are a waste of money at best, next a good rule of thumb is that products with a lot of flashy chrome and fins and stuff are generally low quality garbage. Fins, neon, and fancy shaped speakers/dustcaps/cones does NOT effect performance of audio equipment This is what we call "all show and no go". There are some exceptions of course, but most of the best stuff out there looks pretty plain.
um yah that amp is about as plain as they get and those subs arnt rly very flashy? I was just looking at specs and that sub claims to have huge wattage and excursion numbers which is what drew me to it. Also I thought of SPL as a pretty solid company since i was told that they are a partner/off shoot of power acoustik. Also I have heared mixed opinions about capacitors. Some people swear by them, others say that they dont do much, if anything at all. I just figured for $30 for a 3.5 farad it was worth trying and hopefully would prevent most headlight dimming. Finally what section would u suggest i put this in? I figured it would be frowned upon to post it in both the amp and sub sections.

Finally what section would u suggest i put this in? I figured it would be frowned upon to post it in both the amp and sub sections.
The "General Discussion" section. Clearly you haven't even looked through this site at all and just posted randomly. That's why i would ban people like you.

um yah that amp is about as plain as they get and those subs arnt rly very flashy? I was just looking at specs and that sub claims to have huge wattage and excursion numbers which is what drew me to it. Also I thought of SPL as a pretty solid company since i was told that they are a partner/off shoot of power acoustik. Also I have heared mixed opinions about capacitors. Some people swear by them, others say that they dont do much, if anything at all. I just figured for $30 for a 3.5 farad it was worth trying and hopefully would prevent most headlight dimming. Finally what section would u suggest i put this in? I figured it would be frowned upon to post it in both the amp and sub sections.
i have a spl amp, IMO it aint too bad, but i wouldnt run their subs and power acoustik aint nothing special.

IA and AQ make great stuff, and for wires i would go with KnuKonceptz.com great stuff. forget the cap and do a "big 3"

Like the others said, do some research. I didn't post anything until I searched and read up and down this forum for a few weeks. In fact, I learned a 90% of what I know about car audio without posting anything...just reading. Now, as a result Im by no means a car audio expert- but more importantly I spent my money wisely and on what counts to meet my goal. Exercise those eyes! Oh ya, next time you post make sure its in the right spot! you'll catch hell otherwise.....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.