Budget bass help needed

PrinceCharming
10+ year member

PrinceCharming
Ive been riding around listening to my two Memphis Power Reference 10's for long enough. I'm looking to upgrade to a couple 15's in a ported box but i have no idea where to start, I'm kinda burnt out because Ive spent all my time trying to get my front stage set up but I'm ready to get back in the game. I will build my own box but i need help finding subs and an amp. My budget is around $500ish for my subs and $200ish for my amp. I want really deep but loud bass but some clarity would be nice, I will drive them pretty hard so I want them to be able to last. I could probably find an amp but if you have suggestions they will be appreciated (must be class D). I drive a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE if that helps. Thanks.

i think you reverse your budget.

$300 for a pair of 12's

$400 for one good monoblock amp, used

wall off the rear seat/trunk opening, and fire those 12's into the cabin. lots of examples in build logs on here - results are great.

the reason for 12's is height. can't vertically fit a 15". firing subs up in a trunk is for n00bs who like trunk rattle. anyone interested in usable bass energy seals to the cabin or corner loads in the rear of the vehicle.

As far as being able to fit them, i have already measured and i want 15's because I want the deepest bass i can get (well for this price anyways). I don't want to do anything major I just need some ideas mainly for some subs. Thanks for the links and the feedback.

$300 for an amp and $400 for subs sounds good but I'm pretty flexible so you guys just shoot me some links or names so i can check them out

The measurement isnt just for 15 inches, I included the box in that too.

Alright so Ive been hearing that i shouldg o with 12's instead of 15's. Why is this? I know i can fit them along with a pretty large box. I'm still a newb obviously. Can someone explain?

Alright so Ive been hearing that i shouldg o with 12's instead of 15's. Why is this? I know i can fit them along with a pretty large box. I'm still a newb obviously. Can someone explain?
We are pretty certain that wont have enough volume or sqft(port) to fully use those 15s.. 12s would be optimal with a ported enclosure.

Also, 15s probably will have to be firing up( ie facing the bottom of the horizontal part of your trunk, compared to 12s, this isnt optimal for response because because bass energy will be absorbed in trunk. Also, 12s can be sealed from trunk easily.

We are pretty certain that wont have enough volume or sqft(port) to fully use those 15s.. 12s would be optimal with a ported enclosure.
Also, 15s probably will have to be firing up( ie facing the bottom of the horizontal part of your trunk, compared to 12s, this isnt optimal for response because because bass energy will be absorbed in trunk. Also, 12s can be sealed from trunk easily.

Just an fyi bass energy is a synonymous term for audible output

Ok thanks for the response. Can you guys just give me some good brands as far as subwoofers go? What I'm wanting is at least 3 to 4 times the output I'm getting now (I'll have to get out there and check that tomorrow) and really low bass. 12's may be the way I go but I still want to look into getting some 15's if they will hit harder. Say for example I want to get a couple Kicker CVR 12's but the Kicker CVR 15's have the capability to hit twice as hard (+3 dbs) and they are only like $50 more each, then I would rather get the 15's. That is setting my install and amp brand aside.

Honestly I'm wanting something that is gonna hit harder than two CVR 15's if I can do it for this price because Ive heard them and they are amazing but from what I have been told they are overpriced.

And btw whatever I get WILL be firing into the cabin (I usually keep my seats down) because you are right my friend.

[quote name='PrinceCharming']Ok thanks for the response. Can you guys just give me some good brands as far as subwoofers go? What I'm wanting is at least 3 to 4 times the output I'm getting now (I'll have to get out there and check that tomorrow) and really low bass. 12's may be the way I go but I still want to look into getting some 15's if they will hit harder. Say for example I want to get a couple Kicker CVR 12's but the Kicker CVR 15's have the capability to hit twice as hard (+3 dbs) and they are only like $50 more each, then I would rather get the 15's. That is setting my install and amp brand aside.
Honestly I'm wanting something that is gonna hit harder than two CVR 15's if I can do it for this price because Ive heard them and they are amazing but from what I have been told they are overpriced.

And btw whatever I get WILL be firing into the cabin (I usually keep my seats down) because you are right my friend.[/QUOTE]
@mylows10;

Ive seen some nasty hdc12 from audioque... @SPLaudio; can make you a set
.. and others will chime in!

Iad vendor, @denim; - ssa, incriminator audio, dc, ab, obsidian, fi... and etc

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.