budget 4 channel vs higher end, is there a sound difference?

Where you'll hear the biggest difference is when pushed hard near clipping, when poorly designed amps will have lots of crossover distortion. Well under clipping it's much harder to distinguish good and bad sound, unless there is an EQ or phase difference.
Many of the home stereo hifi guys use 20W tube amps. I wonder if car-fi will ever be saturated with tubes. (I build tube amps for guitar in mybspare time.)

CHAD
Tube amps are usually pretty heavily colored but in a good way, very little distortion in the sound with that much internal EQ done. My grandfather has a mcintosh tube amp/DAC for his sennhieser hd800s, no car audio setup can match that.

Where you'll hear the biggest difference is when pushed hard near clipping, when poorly designed amps will have lots of crossover distortion. Well under clipping it's much harder to distinguish good and bad sound, unless there is an EQ or phase difference.
Many of the home stereo hifi guys use 20W tube amps. I wonder if car-fi will ever be saturated with tubes. (I build tube amps for guitar in mybspare time.)

CHAD
Planet had some tube amps. McIntosh does also.

680P6030047.JPG

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif

Tube amps are usually pretty heavily colored but in a good way, very little distortion in the sound with that much internal EQ done. My grandfather has a mcintosh tube amp/DAC for his sennhieser hd800s, no car audio setup can match that.
It's all in the harmonics. Tube amps have loads of even order harmonics that add a singing vocal quality. Solid state can easily be designed to have almost no harmonics, which you'd think is better- except it can sound sterile in comparison. Tube amps compress quite a bit before clipping hard, and sound real nic in that compressed stage, and still musical into clipping because of the even harmonics. Solid state clips with lots of odd order harmonics, which sound dissonant to the ears, and not as musical. SS also clip suddenly, and ugly, unless loads of great care are employed to counteract.

CHAD

CHAD
That will never happen as there are not enough people with that kind of a budget to saturate the market. As you get closer and close to true hifi, the returns diminish with every extra dollar you spend. Cars are also not just parked in a quite area when listening, most of the listening is done while driving and I think that alone can almost nullify the difference between some amps.

The overall price goes up yet again because if you're sporting a tube amp or even a class A amp, you want no weak links in your system. You have to have a good source unit, no compressed audio, and of course, audiophile grade speakers. All this stuff adds up.

i just watched that, i could tell he was saying fa instead of ba. there trying to say if you close your eyes you hear ba .. nope i here fa.

does anybody else ?
For the record, he NEVER says "Fa" in the entire video.

The point is our mind does influences what we hear, and there is rarely any way around that. If it sounds better to you, then go with it, weather it an amp or...

I like blind test and do them when i can (to the best of my ability anyway)

For the record, he NEVER says "Fa" in the entire video.
The point is our mind does influences what we hear, and there is rarely any way around that. If it sounds better to you, then go with it, weather it an amp or...

I like blind test and do them when i can (to the best of my ability anyway)
It really is a question of psychoacoustics. Even if you find 2 people who have exactly the same hearing, their brain may perceive the sound differently and they will think it sounds completely different. Perception truly is reality when it comes to this. Besides that, people don't hear the same. If you have an individual that is less sensitive to a certain frequency range, their idea of the sound stage will be entirely different. For example, if those same frequencies "raise" the sound stage, they may think the sound stage is much lower.

I had a big HT audiophile call my car HiFi after a jazz demo. I got a chubby.

Processing can only do so much but it can do a lot. A turd is still a turd.

Most of the people I've noticed on Diyma are not using half the power of those PPIs, that along with good processing im sure they sound great. They also have a much lower need for output than most of us have.

It really is a question of psychoacoustics. Even if you find 2 people who have exactly the same hearing, their brain may perceive the sound differently and they will think it sounds completely different. Perception truly is reality when it comes to this. Besides that, people don't hear the same. If you have an individual that is less sensitive to a certain frequency range, their idea of the sound stage will be entirely different. For example, if those same frequencies "raise" the sound stage, they may think the sound stage is much lower.
I don't think so bud. If that was true the MS-8 would have to check everyone's hearing pre calibration.

You may not like the EQ it applies if you think beats headphones are what it's all about.

I had a big HT audiophile call my car HiFi after a jazz demo. I got a chubby.
That's weird. Should have kept that to yourself bud

You may not like the EQ it applies if you think beats headphones are what it's all about.
Ok, I'm just going to say that my $50 DD Earbuds are better than my $400 Beats Pros. Didn't think they would be

That's weird. Should have kept that to yourself bud

Ok, I'm just going to say that my $50 DD Earbuds are better than my $400 Beats Pros. Didn't think they would be
Picture Craig butler telling you something you did was genius and stupid loud. You would grow ball hair

Picture Craig butler telling you something you did was genius and stupid loud. You would grow ball hair
Then I'd have to shave my balls again.

More like my beard would get thicker. That's probably a better comparison

EDIT: Yea, I see what you mean though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.