Buck Box Designs - Refreshed Thread

So, this VXF 15 is on a SIA-3500 at 1 ohm. I saved these box files as a "high powered" box, which is because I usually design boxes for RMS power, typically. This box is tuned in the high 20's and has big port area, relative to musical design, Skar's recommendation, and what I would normally do for port area for a sub like this. I can't believe this sub hasn't blown yet, honestly. That's like legit 2x the RMS power.

These big flared ports are not just for show. Don't get me wrong, I think they look super cool, but giant flares are very useful in high power applications, or in applications where you might run into port noise. It's the exact same concept as a the flared ends on something like a PSP aeroport, but clearly it's a whole level higher of beefiness and airflow.

I'm really not a fan of aeros, when it comes down to it. They definitely have their uses, but wooden ports are so strong and make the box so much stronger, as well, and you just aren't going to get the same airflow, in most cases, by using a round or aeroport. I don't think there's many ports that can beat the airflow of a flared slot port.

Yeah I think round, flared ports are good for trying to cram something in an alignment or use max airspace but a lot of times a big flared slot will sound better. I think it makes sense in a rectangular vehicle to have a rectangular port pushing the air out well and really let it breathe along the walls.
How much area did you use?

Yeah I think round, flared ports are good for trying to cram something in an alignment or use max airspace but a lot of times a big flared slot will sound better. I think it makes sense in a rectangular vehicle to have a rectangular port pushing the air out well and really let it breathe along the walls.
How much area did you use?

Iirc, ~15.9 in^2/cube

2 Skar VXF 15's ported going in an old school Chevy sedan trunk.

makes me want to try subs up and port back in my sedan...

Subs up and port up actually works well, too, as long as your sub don't have a massive mounting depth. If your trunk is really square on the sides, subs and port(s) up creates a tunnel above the box, just can't have the box too tall. If your trunk is tall, but you can only fit a certain height box in the trunk, then you can fire up and gain all that depth that you'd usually lose, and have enough room over the top of the box to not choke everything.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...