Buck Box Designs - Refreshed Thread

I didn't know it was doing that much damage to the vehicle itself. I wish I could listen to this one, for sure.

I've found that to be true with properly designed series 6th order bandpasses. They do truly excel in some situations. People think that because it's a 6th order that it's going to peak super hard and roll off super hard, but that just really isn't the case, if it's designed for music. I would almost argue that series 6th orders might be better than ported, as in play a wider bandwidth at a higher SPL level, at least in situations like these. I wish I could do a series 6th order vs ported box test in a pickup truck, where I could make the best of both types of boxes and actually show SPL across the bandwidth to see what it truly does look like.
I might be able to help with that. I've got busy weekends coming with the holidays but when I get a chance I have the spl meter and a ported box and this new bandpass I can do side by side testing

I might be able to help with that. I've got busy weekends coming with the holidays but when I get a chance I have the spl meter and a ported box and this new bandpass I can do side by side testing

That would be super dope! See if I'm right or not. I'm basing my conclusions off what people have told me who have these systems.

That would be super dope! See if I'm right or not. I'm basing my conclusions off what people have told me who have these systems.
When I get the chance then you'll have actual numbers to compare. I'll run it off the same amp in the same truck in the same place. Should be interesting

Massive Audio Hippo XL 122R (3000w RMS, 4" VC, 12" Sub) series 6th order bandpass going in the trunk of car and blowing through the rear deck.

This one took me a little while. Made the front port removable through the window hole that the sub mounts through, that you access through the removable window on the back of the series 6th order bandpass rear deck blowthrough box, lol. This whole box can be slid in and out of the trunk with the front/top port removed. Laying this out for a powerful sub with a high Fs like this Hippo is difficult, because the ports have to be fairly big. 3000w RMS 12's move a lot of air, naturally.

View attachment 33688

View attachment 33689

View attachment 33690

View attachment 33691

View attachment 33692

I got some box build pics of this one, too, as well as sub pics. I think he's gotta work on the rear port wall that's in the rear chamber, it wound up being slightly closer than it was supposed to. It happens, I've done it before 👀

I think this box is going to wind up looking very nice. This sub is 3000 watts, so it's going to be some bass. The owner isn't rushing to build, just taking his time. I can't wait to see that big window on the backside of this one and that huge Massive motor.

Got some build pics! I was exited to see this one. This is the first VXF (it's a 12") that I've done a bandpass for.

@Deon1818 - Let them know how it sounds, if you want.

Box building quality looks pretty good to me. I think it's going to get some more beautification over time.

View attachment 34268

View attachment 34269

View attachment 34270

View attachment 34271

View attachment 34272

View attachment 34273

He should've just used MDF instead of the plywood that he used. Why do people still buy that stuff?

Because I got it for free. 🤷‍♂️
Little extra time with wood filler but it's getting carpeted anyways and I despise mdf dust.

No worries. I just can't stand the hollow spots in the cheap "Birch". I won't even call it Birch anymore. A thin veneer of Birch doesn't make it Birch. A lot of people actually think that MDF sounds better anyway. MDF dust or Birch dust, just sweep it up and toss it. I've never heard anybody **** on good MDF (there is a difference) because of the saw dust.

No worries. I just can't stand the hollow spots in the cheap "Birch". I won't even call it Birch anymore. A thin veneer of Birch doesn't make it Birch. A lot of people actually think that MDF sounds better anyway. MDF dust or Birch dust, just sweep it up and toss it. I've never heard anybody **** on good MDF (there is a difference) because of the saw dust.
Maybe I've never used mdf of a good enough quality, but my problem is with the airborne dust. My jigsaw and router don't have vacuum connections and my sinuses get real fucked up from that amount of sawdust. Gives me a pressure headache for like 16 hours. Masks help but minnesota winter means I'm cutting in my garage and the **** lingers lol.

There’s no difference in the type of wood used other than looks. Some people act like wood snobs, as if real Baltic birch sounds better than cheap birch, or MDF sounds better than pine. None of that matters for sound.

There’s no difference in the type of wood used other than looks. Some people act like wood snobs, as if real Baltic birch sounds better than cheap birch, or MDF sounds better than pine. None of that matters for sound.
Personally I've never been able to hear a difference but I can't say with 100% certainty as I dont know the numbers behind their different resistances to flex or if the surface could effect air drag to actually make a difference 🤷‍♂️ **** bumps that's all I know 🤣

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...