Buck Box Designs - New Picture Log

Box size and tuning and port size somewhat. If you mean when a vehicle has two peaks, it's because there's a peak at the cabin resonance and a peak near port tuning. Not a dumb question, I'm just not 100% sure which way you mean that question.

The box in my truck peaks at 29 hz. on the low side and 40 hz. on the high side. I was just curious as to what that meant? I'm trying to understand boxes and their performance better. My box was tuned to 33 hz. Is it good, bad, or indifferent?

Yes, I'm just trying to understand boxes more. I understand the tuning, but don't quite understand high peak and low peak, and it's significance. Also, the resonant frequency of the vehicle. We used to just build a box to spec and move on.

Well the resonance may come from your cab. Idk what your box is tuned to, but the high peak may be your cab + box tuning. The low peak may be the same, or there may be some resonance you're getting from your port acting longer because of the proximity of things around it. I'm not sure what you are tuned to.

Well the resonance may come from your cab. Idk what your box is tuned to, but the high peak may be your cab + box tuning. The low peak may be the same, or there may be some resonance you're getting from your port acting longer because of the proximity of things around it. I'm not sure what you are tuned to.

Tuned to 33 hz. But, is that a good spread between low and high? It seems to dig low pretty good for 4-8's. I'm not just trying to just understand my box, but that's all I have to go by. I assumed that if a box was tuned to 33 that it would peak at 33. That's what kind of confuses me.

Tuned to 33 hz. But, is that a good spread between low and high? It seems to dig low pretty good for 4-8's. I'm not just trying to just understand my box, but that's all I have to go by. I assumed that if a box was tuned to 33 that it would peak at 33. That's what kind of confuses me.

Cabin gain. I mean there's not much you can do about cabin gain. You can tune for cabin gain some, but you still want to tune your box for that range you want vs where the peaks are. Your cab is an enclosure itself. You know if you like cut a hole in your roof and stuck a sub in it, your cabin would basically be a giant sealed box that had a certain resonance with that specific sub and that specific airspace. So the shape of your cabin plus the actual air volume/mass is what gives your cab it's audio peaks and dips characteristics. Pickup trucks have the weirdest acoustics out of any vehicle group I've seen. I strongly believe it has to do with a pickup's cab usually being wider than it is long/deep. I really pay attention to where I put ports and subs in a pickup.

If your truck has deadener, like dynamat or something, it'll make you peak lower more than likely, because it adds mass to the metal. Adding mass = lower Fs.

Cabin gain. I mean there's not much you can do about cabin gain. You can tune for cabin gain some, but you still want to tune your box for that range you want vs where the peaks are. Your cab is an enclosure itself. You know if you like cut a hole in your roof and stuck a sub in it, your cabin would basically be a giant sealed box that had a certain resonance with that specific sub and that specific airspace. So the shape of your cabin plus the actual air volume/mass is what gives your cab it's audio peaks and dips characteristics. Pickup trucks have the weirdest acoustics out of any vehicle group I've seen. I strongly believe it has to do with a pickup's cab usually being wider than it is long/deep. I really pay attention to where I put ports and subs in a pickup.

If your truck has deadener, like dynamat or something, it'll make you peak lower more than likely, because it adds mass to the metal. Adding mass = lower Fs.

O.k., thanks man. I have zero deadener right now. So, I guess that I should be happy that it can peak that low. Thanks for sharing your knowledge, I appreciate it. I will probably sound deaden my doors when I add some Steven's 6-½'s to the doors. I understand that single cab trucks have weird acoustics. I was happy when I learned that I could 5.1 cubes gross net behind the seat. My port is at the top firing to the passenger side. Sleep good man. Thanks again. Just trying to learn.

O.k., thanks man. I have zero deadener right now. So, I guess that I should be happy that it can peak that low. Thanks for sharing your knowledge, I appreciate it. I will probably sound deaden my doors when I add some Steven's 6-½'s to the doors. I understand that single cab trucks have weird acoustics. I was happy when I learned that I could 5.1 cubes gross net behind the seat. My port is at the top firing to the passenger side. Sleep good man. Thanks again. Just trying to learn.

Extended cabs and crew cabs are the worst quite honestly. Single cabs aren't as bad really. Rolling down windows in pickup trucks really shows how weird the cabin is. With each window it's almost like you'll peak at 4 different frequencies. I've seen that several times personally.

2 DC XL Elite 12's ported in a small SUV with a good looking Lexan window.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...