Broken Rear Amplifier NEED HELP!

Participant count
  • Participant list

Andrewneep

To begin this post, I'm a lazy idiot, and that's why my amplifier is broken. So there, I said it.

You see, I was exploring different ways of wiring my sub amp in parallel with my rear speakers, when, long story short, I shorted out the output on my rear speaker amplifier. I have a nissan maxima with the bose stereo in it. If you're not familiar with it, there are amplifiers attached to the bottoms of each of the rear speakers. Now when i turn it on, it makes a repetitive clicking noise and no other sound comes out of it. Also the noise doesn't get any louder or quieter if i adjust the volume on my radio. I am considering repairing the chip myself, but i'm not sure what exactly blew in it. Does this sound like the transistors are blown or is it something else?

Maybe Im a bit off here but I didn't think amps unless controlled by a digital disply had a "chip" so I'm a bit confused, but if Im right right then you definitly have no business rootin' around in your amp.

Take/send it to a pro or instal some nice new speakers powered by a decent amp.

And also, Welcome to the forum

Whatever i shouldn't have said chip i meant circuit board. Basically all I'm asking for is a diagnosis. Based on the symptoms i gave, what components should i replace on the circuit board if i attempt to repair it myself? Transistors? Capacitors? Both? And I'd send it to a pro, but if i can diagnose it myself and repair it myself for just a few dollars, i'd rather do that than pay somebody.

Have you ever worked on a circuit board?

If the answer is no, then you shouldn't even be contemplating repairing this yourself.

BTW.. have you cheacked all the other fuses? Possible a fuse blew.

yes i've worked on plenty of circuit boards before and even made my own. And yes i checked the fuses. Originally the 15 amp fuse in the dash fuse box blew because of this and none of the speakers worked. But i replaced it and now it's just the one that got shorted out that's giving me trouble.

you'll need to bench test the speaker/amp and use an oscilloscope to trace the signal and find where it is lost. likely the short caused damage to the output transistors since those factory amps didn't need output protection. but when a transistor is damaged, resistors likely follow.

it would be easier to just grab a replacement from a salvage yard.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.