Pioneer Avic-D3 Broken Screen?

Participant count
  • Participant list

swedsled740

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey guys, I have a Pioneer Avic-D3 that came in my Mazda that has served me great but unfortunately I bumped it with my skis accidentally and spiderwebbed the screen. It worked partially for a few minutes after but now is completely unresponsive to touch commands. The display still shows up fine behind the cracked screen. Besides being an obvious eyesore the most annoying part is that it got stuck on AM not FM when this happened, which leaves me unable to connect my FM transmitter in order to play music from my phone. As far as I know, I can change the frequency using the buttons but not from AM to FM. My questions are:

1. Is there any other way to switch from AM to FM without the use of the touchscreen? This would allow me to at least play music for the time being until I can properly fix it.

2. Would only the touchscreen or the entire LCD display have broken in this case? Either way, how do I go about finding replacement(s) and how do I install them.

Thanks!

That unit is old enough that finding a new replacement screen is probably going to be difficult, if not impossible . Your best bet is to find a new head unit and retire the old Pioneer.

Oh the screens are available but you are going to pay 435 dollars for it from pacparts!

As they said buy a new one and be done with it. Sell the old one for parts on ebay someone may want the internals for it.

Thanks for the replies, I like the remote idea as a temporary fix. I found this one that’s cheap enough and supposed to work with the D3.

https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_130CDR...aQpeW44CWQ08piOTA8UxoDYhqEbt95QBoCO0sQAvD_BwE

Besides that, good point about getting a new unit - it’s not worth paying nearly that much for a replacement screen. I will look into options for a new head unit.

One other idea that came to mind is buying an entire replacement D3 unit and either only swapping the screen if the rest is not functional or the entire unit if it is. For example this one below on eBay is cheap (so far) and supposedly works good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1344546311...d=link&campid=5335951755&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Sounds like it's the digitizer in front of the LCD panel (a separate clear thin glass panel that responds to touch) is what broke. Technically it is not horribly difficult to swap, but yeah, as mentioned might be very difficult to impossible to find a replacement, aside from pulling one from another unit, but that is not worth the time, especially on an older head unit that isn't worth much as it use to be.

You could likely disassemble and remove the digitier so you don't have to look at it being broken, and just leave the LCD panel in place, but be aware you you have to take care not to damage anything else in the process; plastic clips, ribbon cables, LCD display, etc. Again, probably not worth the effort. A bit of a teardown to get the face off and taken apart without breaking anything.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...